This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5845 / 53°35'4"N
Longitude: -1.8266 / 1°49'35"W
OS Eastings: 411573
OS Northings: 409785
OS Grid: SE115097
Mapcode National: GBR HVPZ.BS
Mapcode Global: WHCBD.X5BC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 24 January 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134671
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340888
Location: Meltham, Kirklees, HD9
Civil Parish: Meltham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Christ the King, Meltham
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 10 NW WILSHAW ROAD
Church of St. Mary
A church of highly eclectic design, having some German Romanesque
forms, the elaborate central tower roof of French gothic type, and the
windows typical of the Italian Renaissance. Built 1863 by John Kirk
of Huddersfield at the expense of Joseph Hirst of Wilshaw. Hammer
dressed stone. Pitched slate roof with round arched corbel table.
Symmetrical plan with church to east and former Sunday School to west
with large vestibule surmounted by large square tower with very steep
pyramidal roof with lozenge slating and decorative ironwork to top.
Large central porch on north side, with panelled double doors and
semi-circular fanlight with turned radial glazing bars. Doorway has
colonnette in reveals with foliated capitals, and moulded and decorated
arch. Oculus in gable apex of porch with stone wheel in front of
glass. 5-bay nave to left with round-arched 2-light windows with
circle in head and three detached colonnettes to each window, which
has archivolt. The one-bay chancel side windows are similar but
without the circle in head. The east window is 3-light with a
detached outer skin with four colonnettes and two circles, each with
stone wheel. The hood mould has well carved angels as stops. The
5-bay Sunday School to right has similar detailing to the church, but
more plain. Warden's house (formerly the vicarage) to west end with
addition to match the chancel. The central tower has octagonal stair
tower on south side with pointed lozenge slated roof and spiral stone
stairs. The tower has, on each side, two tall round arched cross
windows with archivolts, colonnettes in reveals and as centre mullion,
circle in head, and round arched lights. Louvred lucarnes in roof
Interior: round chancel arch on clustered responds. Gallery to rear
with well carved oak front with panels of different foliage patterns.
Arched braced collar beam roof. Barrel vaulted chancel roof in wood.
Pulpit, reading desk and organ case, all elaborately carved in oak in
round arched style with foliage and spiral decorated colonnettes.
Choir stall fronts equally well carved each with 3 wheels and musical
instruments carved in spandrels. Carved oak lectern of 1902.
Memorial to Joseph Hirst of 1876: a marble low relief carving of the
legend of the Good Samaritan in elaborate well carved stone surround.
East window by Clayton and Bell in memory of Mary, the only child of
Jospeh and Eleanor Hirst, c.1863. Vestibule beneath the tower and
Sunday School, quite plain.
Listing NGR: SE1157309785
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings