This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6896 / 53°41'22"N
Longitude: -1.6291 / 1°37'44"W
OS Eastings: 424590
OS Northings: 421524
OS Grid: SE245215
Mapcode National: GBR KT2S.33
Mapcode Global: WHC9X.YJDB
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 June 1949
Last Amended: 3 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134712
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340779
Location: Kirklees, WF12
Electoral Ward/Division: Dewsbury East
Built-Up Area: Dewsbury
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Dewsbury Team Parish
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
DEWSBURY CB VICARAGE ROAD
SE 2421 NE (Dewsbury)
Church of All Saints
30/6/49 (formerly listed under
Parish church. North arcade c.1220. South arcade later C13, rebuilt
1895. Nave ceiling C15. Tower and probably north aisle 1767.
Transepts, chancel, chapels and vestries and probably the south aisle
and clerestorey windows 1884-7. Extensive internal alterations c.1976.
Tower and possibly north aisle by John Carr. 1884-7 work by A. E. Street
and A. H. Kirk in Decorated style. Ashlar. Stone slate roof to nave
and (hipped) north aisle. Other roofs leaded and very low pitched.
Ashlar parapets. West tower, 4-bay nave, with north and south aisle.
Large, taller chancel with large transept to north and south. Large
chancel chapel to each side each with porch. Vestry in north east
corner. The square tower is of 3 tiers with string courses and pilaster
strips. The crenellated top with 8 crocketed pinnacles is C19. 2-light
round-arched bell chamber openings. The middle tier has pointed arched
windows with round arched lights. North and west doorways (the former
blind) have pilaster jambs and ogee head surmounted by a concave triangular
pediment. The large, round-arched north aisle windows are of six lights
with transom and the lights of the lower tier are round-arched. South
aisle windows are 3-light with Perpendicular and Decorated tracery.
3-light clerestory windows. The north and south transepts each have
two large windows with Decorated tracery, (reticulated to north).
Windows to chancel and chapels all have Decorated tracery. The large
east window has seven lights with reticulated tracery and 2 circles.
The south side of the chancel has a slender 6-light transomed, traceried
window. The north chapel has a large 5-light window with cambered head
and reticulated tracery.
Interior: 4-bay arcade to each side of nave, that to south on quatrefoil
piers, that to north on piers around which are 4 detached colonnettes
connected by annulets. Double chamfered arches. Panelled nave ceiling
with bosses. Excellent carved oak reredos of 1913 depicting Christ with
the 12 apostles, flanked by 12 early saints and monarchs. This was moved
from the chancel in the recent alterations. In the west end of the north
aisle are various fragments of Anglo-Saxon crosses, coffin lids and several
C17 grave slabs. On the north wall are several memorials: one to John
Turner 1758 with elaborate gabled canopy. A fine alabaster cartouche with
two cherubs and scrolls and flowers, to Marmaduke Rookes, gent and Jane
his wife. He died 1724, she died 1721. Another excellent, similar
cartouche to Johannes and Elizabeth Peables of Dewsbury who died 1684
and 1681. Several mid C19 memorials to members of the Nowell family.
Font probably C17, a 'tulip' bowl divided into 8 panels with decorative
cornice and chamfered underside with patterns. Octagonal pedestal.
The south chapel remains as such, but the rest of the east end of the
church has been altered to form modern accommodation using concrete
blockwork; the church structure has been left visible and intact.
Large stone arches at the crossing and wooden arches on wooden piers
to the transepts. Arched traceried stone screens formerly separated the
chancel from the chapels. Good stained glass generally, to chancel,
chapels and transepts. The east window is of 1884. Fragments of C14
glass in north transept window and also three C13 medallions representing
harvesting, threshing and pig killing (Pevsner).
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.
A. R. Bielby, Churches & Chapels of Kirklees, 1978.
Listing NGR: SE2459021524
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings