This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9042 / 53°54'15"N
Longitude: -1.3422 / 1°20'31"W
OS Eastings: 443314
OS Northings: 445538
OS Grid: SE433455
Mapcode National: GBR MR29.66
Mapcode Global: WHDB7.C429
Entry Name: Spa Lane Methodist Church
Listing Date: 30 April 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135059
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342008
Location: Boston Spa, Leeds, LS23
Civil Parish: Boston Spa
Built-Up Area: Boston Spa
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lower Wharfe
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 4245-4345 BOSTON SPA SPA LANE
LS23 (west side)
6/87 Spa Lane Methodist
Methodist church. 1846. By Messrs. Atkinson of York (Scott, p.52). Ashlar
magnesian limestone, Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys with half basement, 3 x 4
bays; short, narrower wing to rear centre. In simple Italianate style.
Gabled front with plinth and central steps to a projecting, ashlar sandstone
doorcase having panelled double-door in eared architrave beneath stone
transom and plain fanlight and with fielded-panel pilasters, archivolt with
keystone and peaked cornice. Small round-headed casements to each side have
architraves with acroteria. 1st floor: moulded sill band to a stepped 3-
light window with margin-glazed casements in round-headed architraves, the
central light with an acroterion. Gable barge board. Rear: lower wing has
window of 3 round-headed lights under rusticated relieving arch; gable oculus
with 'Star of David' glazing bars. Right return: plinth band rises in
segmental arches over 4-pane, basement sashes and door on right. Plain
casements to ground floor in ashlar surrounds with rusticated, segmental-
arched heads. 1st floor: sill band from front forms impost band to round-
headed 4-pane sashes under rusticated arches; moulded eaves band. Left
return: lean-to addition of 1986, otherwise same.
Interior: contemporary fittings with pitch-pine box pews and gallery set on
fretted brackets. Semi-octagonal pulpit behind bobbin-turned balustrade;
round-arched organ recess to its rear. Queen-post trusses also on fretted
brackets and subdivided by struts. Foundation stone laid November 1846;
dedicated October 1847; the £1000 building debt finally paid off in 1863
B. M. Scott, Boston Spa, 2nd edition, 1985.
Listing NGR: SE4331445537
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings