This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7487 / 53°44'55"N
Longitude: -1.6038 / 1°36'13"W
OS Eastings: 426225
OS Northings: 428114
OS Grid: SE262281
Mapcode National: GBR KT72.LX
Mapcode Global: WHC9R.B1JG
Entry Name: Morley Hall
Listing Date: 14 May 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135105
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341810
Location: Morley, Leeds, LS27
Civil Parish: Morley
Built-Up Area: Morley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Morley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2628 SW LS27 DAWSON HILL
House. Dated 1683 but mainly with early C19 fenestration and with later
C19 alterations and additions to rear. Large well-coursed dressed stone,
Welsh blue-slate roof. 2 storeys. Appears originally to have been of
3-room plan with hall-and-crosswing and gable-entry doorway dated 1683.
1st cell has added full height canted bay with band and embattled parapet
and 15-pane sash with plain-stone surround to each face and floor. Central
cell has semicircular-arched stairwindow with voussoirs and raised keystone
to left of doorway in shallow porch with monolithic jambs and lintel and
cyma-moulded cornice and sash window above. Right wing breaks forward slightly
and has quoins and canted bay-window with small-paned sash to each face, cornice
and blocking course. 2 sash windows above. Coped gable with kneelers and one
ball finial. Coped gable to left. Lateral stack (brick) to rear of 1st cell,
ashlar ridge-stack at junction with wing. Large lateral stack to right-hand
return of wing. Left-hand return has C17 doorway with composite jambs dated
lintel and cyma-moulded surround to left of single sash to 1st cell with same
above. To left of door long added range at right angles to front range has
2 projecting full height rectangular bays with mullioned windows and embattled
parapet. Coped gables, one ridge stack to this range.
Attached to front is plaque inscribed:
" Built in 1683 by Thomas Dawson whose
Grand-Daughter married Lord Loughborough
(Lord Chancellor of England)
The residence of Oliver and Alice Scatcherd
from 1884-1906. "
Formerly the home of Sir William Overend Priestley (1829-1900) the distinguished
Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SE2622528114
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings