This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7478 / 53°44'52"N
Longitude: -1.6014 / 1°36'5"W
OS Eastings: 426380
OS Northings: 428012
OS Grid: SE263280
Mapcode National: GBR KT83.27
Mapcode Global: WHC9R.C2N5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary in the Wood (Congregational)
Listing Date: 30 April 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135116
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341837
Location: Morley, Leeds, LS27
Civil Parish: Morley
Built-Up Area: Morley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Morley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2628SW LS27 TROY ROAD
MORLEY (east side)
30.4.82 CHURCH OF ST MARY IN THE WOOD
Congregational Church. 1878 by Lockwood and Mawson. Hammer-dressed stone,
ashlar dressings, Welsh blue-slate roof. Cruciform. Aisleless nave, transepts,
shallow east end, tall south-west corner tower. Gothic Revival simple Early
English style. 4-stage tower with angle buttresses which rise to form octagonal
corner turrets flanking pedimented gable with clock set between which hides base
of broached stone spire. 2-light shafted bell stage openings. West end of nave
has shafted paired doorways recessed for one order with rich foliate carving and
large naturalistic rose to tympanum. West window has 4 cusped lights with
cinquefoils over 2 pairs and one to apex. 3-bay nave articulated by offset
buttresses has 3-light window to ground floor with trefoil-headed lights and
gallery with arched lights. 2nd bay has gabled dormer with larger 3-light
window with quatrefoil to apex. Attached to 1st bay of north elevation projecting
canted corner bay. Tall gabled transepts with tall 3-light windows to light
gallery, diagonal buttresses. West window has 4 trefoil-headed lights surmounted
by large rose window.
Interior: gallery to 3 sides, supported on cast-iron Doric columns, with tiered
pitch-pine box pews. Columns continue to support arch-braced roof with braced
wall ties supported on stone corbels. Chancel arch springs from short marble
columns. Elaborate carved pulpit has panels decorated with Perpendicular tracery.
Choir-stalls with poppy-heads. Large Royal Coat-of-Arms dated 1664 painted on
wood panels from earlier church on this site.
Site of Presbyterian church during the Commonwealth and Congregationalist from C1800.
Listing NGR: SE2638028012
Other nearby listed buildings