This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5756 / 53°34'32"N
Longitude: -1.6825 / 1°40'57"W
OS Eastings: 421118
OS Northings: 408823
OS Grid: SE211088
Mapcode National: GBR JWP2.JZ
Mapcode Global: WHCBH.4D17
Plus Code: 9C5WH8G8+6X
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 15 August 1985
Last Amended: 3 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135330
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341285
Location: Denby Dale, Kirklees, HD8
Civil Parish: Denby Dale
Built-Up Area: Upper Cumberworth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cumberworth St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
In the entry for the following:
SE 20 NW CHURCH LANE
4/18 Church of St Nicholas
The address shall be amended to read:
Church of St Nicholas
SE 20 NW CHURCH LANE
Church of St. Nicholas
Church. 1876. Gothic Revival. Lower stage of tower may be C18.
Finely dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof with
gable copings. Two-stage square west tower, 4-bay nave with gabled
south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry on north side. Diagonal
buttresses to west tower applied to the quoins of the earlier lower stage.
On the south side of the tower is a small, blind, round arched window with
inscribed lintel 1767. Below is a small ogee-headed window. At base of
tower, on south side, is a small, recent addition. The upper stage of
the tower has large 2-light bell-chamber openings, louvred, and with
reticulated tracery. Slated pyramidal roof, with moulded gutter on
moulded brackets. Iron weather cock. 2-light nave windows, single
light chancel windows and 3-light east window, all with traceried heads.
Interior: arched-braced king-post nave roof. Scissor-braced truss to
chancel. Font, probably C17 with octagonal bowl and pedestal. The
faces of the bowl have paired, traceried panels, and of the pedestal
single traceried panels. Colourful stained glass to east window of 1879.
Chancel windows on south side have good stained glass of 1938 and 1939 by
William Morris and Co., Westminster, the latter signed.
Listing NGR: SE2111808823
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings