This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.644 / 53°38'38"N
Longitude: -1.6181 / 1°37'5"W
OS Eastings: 425341
OS Northings: 416451
OS Grid: SE253164
Mapcode National: GBR KV49.GG
Mapcode Global: WHCB4.3NQT
Entry Name: Winding House, Heapstead and Headstock at Caphouse Colliery
Listing Date: 6 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135482
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342535
Location: Sitlington, Wakefield, WF4
Civil Parish: Sitlington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Middlestown St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE21NE SITLINGTON NEW ROAD
6/42 Winding house,
- heapstead and headstock
at Caphouse Colliery
Winding house, heapstead and headstock. 1876 and later. Coursed, squared
stone winding house with stone slate roof. The heapstead has a stone base,
the upper part is of brick with steel and concrete reinforcement, and an
asbestos roof. The headstock is wooden with later steelwork. The winding
house has a central doorway up stone steps and has a tablet reading:
"ELK (Emma Lister Kaye)
Round-arched window to each side. 2 similar windows to rear, one now a
doorway. The base of the heapstead has round-arched, brick-vaulted openings
to the shaft head. A 1987 stone building has been added to the north side in
keeping with the winding house. Concrete and brickwork encloses the upper
part and has a hipped asbestos roof. The headstock tapers and the wooden
sections are plated at the joints, the lower sections encased in concrete.
Cast-iron spoked winding wheels. Later steel work ramps down to the winding
The wooden headstock is thought to be the last surviving example in
Yorkshire.- The winding house contains the original Davy Bros. twin cylinder
steam winding engine, which was used regularly until 1974, and occasionally
until 1981. The shaft is thought to date from 1791 and was sunk for James
Milnes. The lease was bought by Sir John Lister Kaye of Denby Grange in
1827. A new company took over in 1917.
Other attached buildings not included in the list.
Listing NGR: SE2534116451
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings