This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6607 / 53°39'38"N
Longitude: -1.5544 / 1°33'15"W
OS Eastings: 429542
OS Northings: 418337
OS Grid: SE295183
Mapcode National: GBR KVL3.8G
Mapcode Global: WHCB5.372Z
Entry Name: Horbury Hall
Listing Date: 15 February 1966
Last Amended: 6 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135510
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342497
Location: Wakefield, WF4
Electoral Ward/Division: Horbury and South Ossett
Built-Up Area: Horbury
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Horbury St Peter and St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2918 HORBURY CHURCH STREET
9/4 Horbury Hall (formerly
15.2.66 listed as Nos 13, 15
Hall house. Timber frame of between 1478 (dendro date) and 1492 (documentary
evidence). Built for the Amyas family. The hall was floored and a central
stack inserted c.1700. Encased C18 and later in several stages. (Undergoing
restoration at time of survey, 1987). Clad mainly in brick, part rendered,
the front wall partly in deeply coursed stone. Stone slate roof. Two
storeys. Two-bay open Hall, one-bay solar with chamber beneath. The 3-bay
front has 2 entrances and C19 and C20 windows not of special interest.
Rendered ridge stack between bays 1 and 2.
Interior: open hall of 2 bays now floored and divided by the inserted brick
stack, and a solar bay to the right (west) which has the original floor with
provision for a semicircular stair to the rear right. King-post trusses on
posts (front post to truss No. 2 is missing). Two intermediate open, moulded
and arched-braced collared trusses in the hall. Two-purlin roof with
exceptionally fine and rare cusped windbracing. An additional tie-beam to
the left of truss 3 formerly supported the top of a coved dias canopy and,
along with the tie-beam to truss 2, is brattished and decoratively carved
with roses and shields bearing the Amyas coat-of-arms. The rear post to
truss 2 (south side) is also richly moulded. Studding extant in trusses 3
and 4 at lst-floor level but it is thought that the right wall (truss 4) and
the rear wall were originally of stone at lower level. C18 plaster ceiling
cornice and corner cupboard in ground-floor left room. The house terminates
at the left end with a spere-truss; formerly there was a cross-passage and a
further wing to the left (east) which were demolished in 1938.
The structure represents a very complete survival of a C15 gentry house, the
spere-truss and cusped windbracing being the only examples yet identified in
D. J. H. Michelmore and J. Sugden. 'Horbury Hall, West Yorkshire' 1980.
Archaeological Journal 137, p.403-6.
C. Giles. Rural Houses of West Yorkshire 1400-1830. 1986. RCHME.
K. Taylor. Wakefield District Heritage. 1975. Wakefield EAHY Committee.
Listing NGR: SE2954218334
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings