This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.663 / 53°39'46"N
Longitude: -1.5573 / 1°33'26"W
OS Eastings: 429348
OS Northings: 418587
OS Grid: SE293185
Mapcode National: GBR KVK2.MN
Mapcode Global: WHCB5.16P7
Entry Name: St Peters Convent, the Main Ranges Around the Courtyard
Listing Date: 6 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135513
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342501
Location: Wakefield, WF4
Electoral Ward/Division: Horbury and South Ossett
Built-Up Area: Horbury
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Horbury St Peter and St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2918 HORBURY DOVECOTE LANE
9/8 St. Peter's Convent,
the main ranges around
Convent buildings. 1862-4 and 1869-71 by Henry Woodyer; 1883 east range.
Red brick with yellow sandstone ashlar dressings, east range of stone. Welsh
slate roofs. A rectangular arrangement around a courtyard with a tower at
the internal south-west corner. Two storeys and attics. The main south
range is of 1864 to the left end and 1871 to the right end (dated rainwater
heads), and is of 14 bays in an ordered but asymmetrical arrangement. Two
gabled bays to the right end, the rest of the facade is divided by 3 large
reducing buttresses. Arched doorway to bay 5. All windows have pointed
arches those to ground floor and the 2 staircase windows are mullioned and
transomed and of 2 and 3 lights. Bay 5 has a projecting bay window with 5
over 5 lights. 1st-floor windows are of 2 lights except two 3-light windows
to the 2 gabled right bays. Brick band between floors is rendered to
resemble stone. Wooden dormer windows with arched lights and steeply-pitched
hipped roofs. Broad lateral stacks some with a relief brick crucifix and
ornamental cornices. Ornamental ridge stacks. The chapel (q.v.) is attached
to the right. The left return (west range) is gabled to the right and has a
stone plaque with the date 1864 in relief letters. The range is of similar
treatment to the front though more simple and the dormers are of an inverted
V shape. The east range is of 7 bays with a recessed porch to bay 5 flanked
by short buttresses. A plaque above bears the date 1883 in raised letters.
Ground-floor windows of 3 and 4 lights, those to left transomed. Small
single round-arched windows to 1st floor. Four small gabled dormers. Gable
copings. Stone stacks set in the roof pitch. The north range is single-
storey, in-keeping but not of special interest. Within the courtyard is the
tower which has a frieze of small slender lancets at high level set between
ashlar bands. Above this, corbels support small corner buttresses. The
corbel table, pierced by small lights, supports a large, copper, splay-footed
spire. Apart from the west range the courtyard has peripheral lean-to
corridors. An interesting and unaltered series of buildings, prominent in
N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England. 1967 .
Listing NGR: SE2934818587
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings