History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1 AND 3, TOWN STREET (See details for further address information)

A Grade II Listed Building in Yeadon, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8659 / 53°51'57"N

Longitude: -1.6857 / 1°41'8"W

OS Eastings: 420768

OS Northings: 441122

OS Grid: SE207411

Mapcode National: GBR JRNQ.VX

Mapcode Global: WHC94.23K4

Entry Name: 1 AND 3, TOWN STREET (See details for further address information)

Listing Date: 7 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135628

English Heritage Legacy ID: 342267

Location: Leeds, LS19

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: Otley and Yeadon

Built-Up Area: Yeadon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Yeadon St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Yeadon

Listing Text

AIREBOROUGH IVEGATE
SE 24 SW
LS 19 (West side),
Yeadon
5/7 Nos. 3, 5, and 7,
- with Nos. 1 and 3
Town Street
- II

Includes Nos. 1 and 3 Town Street. Water-powered woollen mill, warehouse,
etc., now 5 shops. Later C18, part dated 1782, with C19 addition; altered.
Coursed squared sandstone, 3-span stone slate roof. Slightly irregular
rectangular plan formed by 3 parallel elements of different builds, that in
the centre being a C19 addition. Built on steeply-sloping site, the 3 gabled
fronts to Ivegate at the upper end being 2-storeyed and the rear 4-storeyed.
The principal elements of interest are the two outer blocks; that on the
south side (No. 7), formerly the mill, has quoins to all corners and
flat-faced flush-mullion windows in the side and rear walls: 3-bay, 3-storey
side wall has 2 doorways at ground floor flanked by altered or inserted
windows, a 3-light window at 1st floor (3rd light blocked) with jambs of a
formerly similar window to the right (now greatly enlarged) and an inserted
window to the left, and 2 pairs of coupled 4-pane sashes at 2nd floor;
4-storey, 2-bay rear wall has two 3-light flush mullion windows and two pairs
of coupled windows at the same levels as those in the side (here the 3rd and
4th storeys), doorways and plain windows at the lower levels; gable to road
has altered and inserted openings (possibly loading doors) and at street
level a doorway in a formerly wider and higher opening; both gables have
stone copings with flat apexes, and that to the street has returned ends to
the coping, like a primitive open pediment. The north block has C19 shop
front and 1st floor windows in the gabled fronts, and a gable chimney; its
side wall (Town Street, Nos 1 and 3) of 2 bays (with evidence of a vertical
joint between them) has 2 doorways at street level, that on the right with
datestone above inscribed
"JAMES DIXON,
1782
MD"
a 3-light window to the right, a similar window above, a blocked taking-in
door to the left of this and coupled sashes at 2nd floor. Continued to the
rear, an early addition of 2 storeys which has inter alia a 3-light window at
1st floor of this side and remains of 3 others on different levels in the
other side. Central element of less interest, said to have been built over
water course to former water wheel.


Listing NGR: SE2076841122

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.