This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8709 / 53°52'15"N
Longitude: -1.3814 / 1°22'52"W
OS Eastings: 440775
OS Northings: 441811
OS Grid: SE407418
Mapcode National: GBR LRSP.Q4
Mapcode Global: WHDB6.RYDW
Entry Name: Chapel at North End of Terrace to Rear of Bramham Park
Listing Date: 30 March 1966
Last Amended: 3 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342194
Location: Bramham cum Oglethorpe, Leeds, LS23
Civil Parish: Bramham cum Oglethorpe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lower Wharfe
Church of England Diocese: York
BRAMHAM CUM OGLETHORPE BRAMHAM PARK
7/33 LS23 Chapel at north end
30.3.66 of terrace to rear
of Bramham Park
(Formerly listed as
Chapel, formerly summer house. 1750-62, by James Paine, for George Fox Lane.
Magnesian limestone ashlar, stone slate roof. Classical style. Pedimented single
cell of 2 storeys and 3 bays with tetrastyle Ionic porch covering full width
of ground floor and single-storey semioctagonal wings to the return walls. Porch
mounted on 3 steps has entablature, dentilled cornice, parapet balustraded in
each bay; ground floor beneath porch has a round-headed doorway with double doors
(upper panels glazed) and fanlight with radiating glazing bars, and tall 12-
pane sashed windows with balustrades beneath; 1st floor has a square window with
glazing bars flanked by square blind windows. Each wing has a plinth, a large
coved niche in each diagonal wall, with a low balustrade, the coping of which
runs out as a string course round the whole, a dentilled cornice with low parapet,
and a semi-pyramidal roof, at the apex of which is a small window at 1st floor
of the return wall. Interior: distyle Ionic screen (of scagliola) to each side
bay, with entablature and dentilled cornice carried round the whole interior,
including a semicircular-arched sanctuary in the rear wall; vaulted ceiling with
slender moulded plaster decoration; in each side bay a statue (Lord Bingley and
his daughter, by Agostino Carlini, 1771: Pevsner).
Listing NGR: SE4077641815
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings