This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0439 / 51°2'37"N
Longitude: -1.6348 / 1°38'5"W
OS Eastings: 425697
OS Northings: 127232
OS Grid: SU256272
Mapcode National: GBR 635.FHW
Mapcode Global: FRA 76GC.8XX
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135718
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320051
Location: West Dean, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: West Dean
Built-Up Area: West Dean
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: West Dean with East Grimstead St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WEST DEAN RECTORY HILL
SU 22 NE
11/157 Church of St Mary
Anglican parish church. 1866, by Pownall and Young. Flint with
brick lacings and dressings, Bath stone dressings to windows, door
and buttresses, and tiled roof. Nave and apsidal chancel, porch in
south west corner, north organ chamber with lean-to vestry attached
to west face. Bellcote over west end of nave. Paired lancet
windows in bays defined by pilasters rising from extended stone
sills to brick corbel table. Gable in transept position with
sexfoil wheel window. Buttresses to transept gabled, and pilasters
around apse. Central high west buttress flanked by 2-light
windows. Porch has chamfered arch on brick piers and raking corner
buttresses. Trefoiled side lights. Roof apsidal over chancel,
with iron cross. Timber framed belltower with tile hung skirt, and
clock. Pyramidal spire of alternating bands of plain and fish
tailed tiles. Inner porch door boarded with ironwork fittings,
within moulded arch.
Interior: Nave of 4 bays, plastered. Rere-arches to lancets.
Crown post trusses with 2 tiers of purlins and open rafters.
Chancel arch on corbels, with hoodmould. Arched opening to vestry.
Chancel raised 3 steps, tiled and barrel vaulted. Single arch to
organ chamber and arch to apse with painted half dome. On north
side, C13-C14 aumbrey, square with moulded surround and medieval
encaustic tiles at back. Piscina to south, also medieval and lined
with medieval tiles, medieval cantilever bowl broken. Fittings:
probably C12 bowl font with cable moulding around base, reset C19
on 8 squat marble columns and waterleaf capitals. Low stone screen
to chancel with moulded coping, leading into stone pulpit with
stone bookrest. Lectern a reset C12 column with waterleaf capital
and leaf base. Reredos 1874, limestone, with Agnus Dei and cross
within crocketed gable on marble columns. C19 pine choir stalls
and bench pews to nave. Furniture: Altar, a C17 communion table.
Chest, also C17 with lightly carved arches. Bible box, also C17
and carved front, containing an 1812 bible with Knight's
Commentaries. C18 table with drawer. Carpets: In nave, (a) C19.
Double medallion with 3 stripes, probably Shurvan. (b) behind
altar, Caucasian, 4 stripes with central medallion of hooked
design. (c) In vestry, a Shirgaz, cropped short, (d) in organ
chamber a second Caucasian in poor condition. Monuments: Two
painted limestone Commandment,tablets with gilded lettering, C19.
Glass: Six windows by Morris & Co. 1916-17, one with portrait.
Listing NGR: SU2569727232
Other nearby listed buildings