History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Langley St Mary's, Slough

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5058 / 51°30'20"N

Longitude: -0.5536 / 0°33'12"W

OS Eastings: 500483

OS Northings: 179533

OS Grid: TQ004795

Mapcode National: GBR F88.JW5

Mapcode Global: VHFT9.CF60

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 29 September 1950

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135750

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38727

Location: Slough, SL3

County: Slough

Electoral Ward/Division: Langley St Mary's

Built-Up Area: Slough

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Langley Marish

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Langley Marish

Listing Text

TQ 07 NW SLOUGH St. MARY'S ROAD (east side)

5/5 Church Of St. Mary
29.9.50
G.V. I

Church. C12 and C14 with tower of 1609, south transept of 1613, north aisle
arcade dated 1630, west porch of 1818, and some C19 restoration. Flint and
rubble with stone dressings, red brick south transept, cement rendered porch,
and old tile roofs, separately over nave, aisle and lower chancel. Red brick
tower with flint base to north and west, and cement rendered dressings. Nave,
chancel, north aisle and chapel, south transeptal chapel, south transeptal
library, west porch and north-west tower. Tower: 4 stages with angle buttresses,
except that to north-west which is diagonal. Moulded strings between second
and third stages and above top stage, coped battlemented parapet, and flagpole
with weathervane. Arched louvred bell chamber openings, flanked by small
rectangular openings in west and north faces, with small rectangular opening to
right in east face and to left in south face; small rectangular opening in third
stage to south, arched opening to north, and clock to west with small carved
Kederminster shield above; arched second stage opening to west with 2 arched
lights; arched first stage opening to west with 2 arched lights and arched
doorway to north with boarded door. Nave: 3-light gabled dormer to south
with diamond leaded panels; 3-light west window with panelled tracery and
returned hoodmould, and arched doorway beneath with boarded door. Porch
gabled to north, south, and west with round arched entrance and 2-light openings
to north and south. Chancel; south side: large central buttress and diagonal buttress
to east. Three 2-light windows, 2 to right with square heads, and boarded door
with chamfered arch beneath central window. East end: large 3-light window with
reticulated tracery and returned hoodmould. South transeptal chapel: large
12-light mullioned and transomed south window with diamond leading and depressed
arched doorway beneath. Library: 2 rectangular windows to south and small
rectangular window in gable end above, all with diamond leading; 2-light square
headed window to west and stack with square shaft and moulded top. North aisle and
chapel; north side: 2 large buttresses and diagonal buttress to east. Four
2-light windows with returned hoodmould and diamond leafing. East end: large
3-light window with reticulated tracery and returned hoodmould. Interior: nave
with 5 bay tie beam roof, timber north aisle arcade dated 1630 with coupled
unfluted Doric columns and Ionic end pilasters with projecting lozenge decoration
supporting triglyph frieze, remaining earlier arch to west chamfered, and
chamfered chancel arch. Chancel with 3 bay waggon roof, 2 bay north chapel
arcade with octagonal piers, chamfered arches and hoodmoulds with carved stops,
and 4 bay sedilia and piscina with triple shafts, bell capitals, trefoiled arches
and foliated spandrels. North aisle and chapel with 6 bay double purlin queen
post roof. Many windows have internal shafting, hoodmoulds and carved stops,
including some 'green men'. Fittings include: C15 chancel screen of 5 bays
with ogee-headed divisions, traceried panels and battlemented top; pulpit dated
1609 with strapwork; C15 octagonal stone font with carved quatrefoil panels;
south chapel screen in Coade stone of 1792 with 3 tall arches 2 columns deep,
quatrefoil piers, quatrefoils in spandrels, quadripartite vauting with shield
bosses and wrought iron railings; Kederminster Pew of 1623 with painted panelling
inside and out including the 'eye of God', painted inscriptions, fretwork, opening
lattice panels, and open parapet with obelisks and strapwork. C17 gallery in west arch of
nave arcade with cut balusters, north aisle west gallery with list of benefactors,
C18 brass chandalier in chancel, 1625 Royal coat of arms in western arch nave
arcade, 6 hatchments,and creed and commandment boards. Remains of C17 wall
painting matching pew in south transeptal chapel. Fragments of C15 glass in
a north chapel west window. Kederminster Library: given in 1623 and housed in
former south porch in 1631, consiting of painted panelling with local scenes,
Kederminster portraits and trompe-l'oeil books on the inside of the shelf
doors, and painted chimney-piece with overmantel consisting of Tuscan half
columns supporting painted frieze and dentil cornice flanking painted
allegorical figures surrounding oval centre-piece with painted shields.
Monuments include: that in the chancel to the Kederminster family of
1599 in alabaster with 2 Corinthian columns supporting entablature with
coat of arms, and 2 facing pairs of kneeling figures with their children
below; tablet in chancel of 1626 with latin inscription, and pilasters
supporting cornice with military trophies and coat of arms above; tablet
in north aisle to Dorothy King of 1684 with Ionic pilasters and broken
segmental pediment with coat of arms; that to David Harvey of 1788 in
Coade stone with woman standing beside angled pedestal with urn; that
to Robert Gosling in north chapel of 1794 with obelisk, sarcophagus
and urn; that in south chapel to Robert Bateson Harvey of 1825 with the
seated figure of a christian pilgrim; 2 brasses, to Robert Harvey 1863
and to Robert Bateson Harvey of 1887. This church is particularly
interesting because of its wealth of fittings and monuments, notably
the library which is unique. Churchyard memorial to the artist Paul Nash
(1889-1946). V.C.H. (Bucks), Vol.3, pp.298-302; B.O.E. (Bucks), pp.181-2.
The History of Slough, Maxwell Fraser, Slough Corporation, 1973, pp. 147-8.
Country Life, Vol. CLXii, 1 Dec. 1977, pp.1576-79.


Listing NGR: TQ0048079533

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.