This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5135 / 51°30'48"N
Longitude: -1.243 / 1°14'34"W
OS Eastings: 452625
OS Northings: 179670
OS Grid: SU526796
Mapcode National: GBR 921.4JR
Mapcode Global: VHCZ0.D7Q2
Plus Code: 9C3WGQ74+CQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Nicholas
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39893
Location: Compton, West Berkshire, RG20
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Compton
Built-Up Area: Compton
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Compton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 57 NW
ALDWORTH ROAD (north side)
Church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas
Church. C13 tower, 1850 rebuilding of nave and chancel, 1905 north aisle. Main rebuilding by William Brown of Reading, north aisle by J.O. Scott. Flint with Bath stone dressings to tower, knapped flint with Bath stone dressings to remainder; tiled roofs. Nave, chancel, tower, north aisle, vestry, south porch. Plinth, buttresses and gable parapets to nave and chancel; plinth, angle buttresses and crenellated parapet to tower.
South elevation: to left: tower of two stages with two-light louvre in top stage and two-light plate traceried window on string course; to centre: nave of four bays with lancet windows and south porch with moulded and chamfered two-centred arched opening to left; to right: chancel with central doorway of two-centred arch on quarter columns under drip mould flanked by cusped ogee headed single-light windows.
West elevation: to left: north aisle, gabled with three light window; to right: tower with two-light louvre at top and three-light Perpendicular window with cusped heads to lights over doorway of four-centred arch under square drip mould with carved heads at springing and scutcheons in the spandrels.
Interior: plastered; nave: four bay arch braced collar roof, arcade to north aisle of two centred arches on moulded, chamfered octagonal columns with undercut caps. Chancel: three bay scissor truss roof; re-set piscina with trefoiled ogee arch on south wall; re-set easter sepulchre with quatrefoil carving under four-centred arch on north wall; chancel arch two-centred moulded and chamfered arch on thin half-columns with undercut caps. North aisle: four bay barrel vaulted timber roof.
Fittings: carved and painted timber reredos and linenfold panelling by Nathaniel Westlake; late C18 hexagonal timber pulpit with carved flowers and fruit round raised and fielded panels; font at west end of north aisle plain stone tub with C15 carved timber cover.
Monuments: re-set brass by pulpit with man and woman of circa 1500 inscribed to "Richard Pygott and Alys his wyf"; on the south wall C18 marble obelisk with urn on a moulded base inscribed to the Puckridge family.
Listing NGR: SU5262579670
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings