This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.372 / 51°22'19"N
Longitude: -1.0413 / 1°2'28"W
OS Eastings: 466826
OS Northings: 164096
OS Grid: SU668640
Mapcode National: GBR B56.TTB
Mapcode Global: VHCZP.WSV3
Plus Code: 9C3W9XC5+RF
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary
Listing Date: 28 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135795
English Heritage Legacy ID: 40005
Location: Stratfield Mortimer, West Berkshire, RG7
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Stratfield Mortimer
Built-Up Area: Mortimer
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Stratfield Mortimer
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 66 SE
Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. 1869 by Richard Armstrong, vestry added in 1896 by E. Swinfen Harris. Rock faced Swindon stone with Bath stone ashlar dressings, steeply pitched tiled roof with decorative ridge tiles and stone coped gables. Nave, north and south aisles, chancel, north chancel aisle, engaged tower and spire on south east; north and south gabled entry porches at west end; south west vestry.
Windows with geometric tracery, two- and three-lights to nave between two stage buttresses; two-light foiled clerestorey windows. Clasped buttresses to chancel, angle buttresses to north porch and south west end to nave. Single storey vestry with two flying buttresses and pinnacles over square piers at corners.
Tower: in three stages, with moulded and foliated cornice, broached spire above, two tiers of lucarnes and weathervane; stair turret on north east side, in angle with chancel, reaches to second stage with semi-circular conical tiled roof.
Interior: five bay arcades with columns having stiff leaf capitals. Plain arch braced collar roof with braced king posts. Carved stone arcaded reredos with decorative painted panels by O. Connor 1868. Stone piscina and sedilia. Finely carved wood chancel screen; carved stone font with tall carved wood coned cover on long hanging chain. Stained glass in the west window by Clutterbuck some C15 and C17 pieces including heads, in the window behind the organ. Monuments: two brasses to R. Travet and wife 1441 on the south wall of chancel, together with a Saxon stone coffin lid with an inscription referring to Aegelwardus, who died in 1017.
Listing NGR: SU6682664096
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings