This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3234 / 51°19'24"N
Longitude: -2.322 / 2°19'19"W
OS Eastings: 377655
OS Northings: 158308
OS Grid: ST776583
Mapcode National: GBR 0R4.V2C
Mapcode Global: VH96T.PZSV
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 1 February 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32516
Location: Hinton Charterhouse, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Hinton Charterhouse
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 75 NE HINTON CHARTERHOUSE
11/114 Church of St John the
Parish church. C12, altered early-mid C13 and extended by south chapel and porch;
tower restored 1770; north aisle of 1825; restored 1846 by Edward Davis of Bath
and windows restored in 1897. Consists of west tower, nave, north aisle, south
chapel and porch, and chancel. Rubble and coursed rubble with freestone dressings;
stone slate roof. Late C12 or early C13 broad west tower of 3 stages, the upper
being C18, unbuttressed with small lancet windows and quoins to the lower stages
and Gothick style Y-tracery to the bell chamber; embattled parapet and moulded
cornice; 3-light C19 Perpendicular style west window and doorway. North aisle
of four (1897) Perpendicular style windows under square hoodmoulds. Projecting,
gabled south porch; the outer doorway has a moulded arch with a fillet, and stiff-
leaf corbels, chamfered outer surround and a hood mould on carved head stops.
South chapel: one plain lancet window in a deep embrasure and one 2-light late
C13 style window with cusped lancets and a quatrefoil; 3-light east window with
lancets to the outer lights and a trefoil to the centre. Chancel: one 2-light
window with plain lancets and an unfoiled circle above and cusped rere-arch; a
smaller 2-light window with cusped lancets and a sexfoil above; priest's door
under an arched head and in a heavy outer moulding; C19 Geometric style east win-
dow. Interior: 2 bay arcade with continuous chamfered arches to south chapel.
Triple chamfered tower arch. 3 bay arcade to north aisle on octagonal piers.
Pulpit: C19 in a Perpendicular style. Font: C12 tub shaped bowl enriched with
a zig-zag moulding at the top. Monuments. Funeral hatchment in north aisle;
and baroque style monument to Robert Painter, died 1735, fluted pilasters, gad-
rooned bases, cherubs on plinth and heavily moulded cornice. Tower: John and
Margaret Shutt, died 1668, inscribed plaque with memento mori tablet above. South
chapel: Walter Robinson, died 1737, large tablet of grey marbles, inscribed plaque
with pedimented top and side consoles: Painter family, 1809, coloured marbles,
weeping woman and an urn. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: North Somerset and
Listing NGR: ST7765558308
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings