This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0201 / 53°1'12"N
Longitude: -2.7653 / 2°45'54"W
OS Eastings: 348762
OS Northings: 347250
OS Grid: SJ487472
Mapcode National: GBR 7H.FLT5
Mapcode Global: WH898.HCF2
Entry Name: The Cross Pharmacy and House
Listing Date: 28 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136144
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55599
Location: Malpas, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Malpas
Built-Up Area: Malpas
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Malpas St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Chester
MALPAS C.P. THE CROSS
SJ 44 NE
2/56 The Cross Pharmacy
and House (formerly
including vet's surgery)
adjoining to right.
Shop, with accommodation over, and house. Faced mid C19, but
double-depth plan suggests core of mid C18 or earlier. Edwardian shop
front. Smooth render, probably on brick; grey slate roof with yellow
ridge-tiles. In mid C19 an earlier house appears to have been
re-cased as a 3-storey, 2-window symmetrical Italianate composition
with 2-storey canted bay window (2-pane: 4-pane: 2-pane) to each side
of a rusticated pedimented doorway. Rusticated stucco centrepiece and
quoins, the former with shell-pediment above eaves level. Moulded
eaves cornice carries ogee cast iron gutters with ornate cresting and
square rainwater pipes, that to left damaged. Coped gables; ball
finials; tall stuccoed chimneys.
The cast-iron pharmacy shop front was added circa 1900 to front of
left bay: tall canted-bay shop window to each side of door with
shaped, glazed upper panel above raised and fielded lower panel.
Sloped fascia. The iron pillars and rails are slender; the decoration
restrained. An unusual design.
Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SJ4876247250
Other nearby listed buildings