This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0985 / 53°5'54"N
Longitude: -2.4395 / 2°26'22"W
OS Eastings: 370670
OS Northings: 355787
OS Grid: SJ706557
Mapcode National: GBR 7X.8V98
Mapcode Global: WH9B5.HCKZ
Entry Name: The Municipal Buildings
Listing Date: 6 July 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136190
English Heritage Legacy ID: 56688
Location: Crewe, Cheshire East, CW1
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Crewe
Built-Up Area: Crewe
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Crewe St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 75 NW FORMER BOROUGH OF CREWE EARLE STREET
2/45 The Municipal Buildings
Council Offices, 1902-1905 by H T Hare in English
Baroque style. Yellow sandstone ashlar with stone slate gable roof.
2½ storeys and basement, 5 bays. 3 centre bays recessed for 2
storeys, flanked and separated by giant unfluted Ionic columns. Small
Tuscan column mullions to ground floor windows, in outer bays. Deeply
recessed semi-circular headed entrance with wrought iron gates and oak
screen with double doors. This is flanked by timber mullion and
centre-arched transome windows with matching archivolts and cartouche
keystones. Pairs of large reclining figures, carved in relief by
F.E.E.Schenck, surmount the three centre openings. Cross windows with
stone eared architraves at first floor level and segmental bracketted
balconies to outer bays. Dentilled and bracketted eaves cornice.
Dormer windows to second floor centre bays with small pediments above
and fronted by balustraded parapet. End bay windows are bullseyes
with egg and dart and festoon treatment. Copings to gables, stone
chimneys and cupola with vane and locomotive finial.
Interior: Tuscan columns in entrance hall, York stone geometrical
staircase, marble Ionic columns and a window in Venetian style in the
Council Chamber. Hardwood doors, in elaborate frames, and plasterwork
based on festoons and egg and dart moulds.
Listing NGR: SJ7067055787
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings