This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2888 / 50°17'19"N
Longitude: -4.9004 / 4°54'1"W
OS Eastings: 193491
OS Northings: 47224
OS Grid: SW934472
Mapcode National: GBR ZR.3S3C
Mapcode Global: FRA 08M8.GQM
Entry Name: Church of St Crida
Listing Date: 10 February 1967
Last Amended: 20 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136281
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71366
Location: Grampound with Creed, Cornwall, TR2
Civil Parish: Grampound with Creed
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Grampound with Creed
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 94 NW WITH CREED
5/24 Church of St Crida
Parish church. C12; extended mid-late C15. The tower was rebuilt in 1734. Restored
1904 by the then Squire of Trewithen. Slatestone and granite rubble with granite
dressings. Tower in squared granite and elvan rubble with granite dressings. Slate
roofs with ridge tiles and gable ends.
Plan: The C12 church may have been cruciform in plan, with nave and chancel in one
and a north and south transept. The north transept was probably rebuilt circa mid-
late C15, at about the same time that the south aisle and the south porch were added.
The west tower was probably of the late C15, rebuilt in 1734.
Exterior: The nave is enclosed by the south aisle and the tower, only part of the
north wall visible; this has a north doorway with 2-centred arch and chamfered
surround in granite, plank door with grille, said to be "devil's window". 3-light
window to west of the doorway with 4-centred arched lights, recessed spandrels and
square hood mould, of C15.
The chancel has east end with 4-light window, possibly of early C17, the 2 central
lights taller, all with 3-centred arches, hollow-chamfered, with rounded arch and
hood mould. To north, a 3-light window with rectangular lights and chamfered
mullions and slate dripstone, probably C17. Also a 2-light C19 window with cusped
lights and square hood mould, and a buttress of the 1904 restoration between. In the
angle between the chancel and the north transept there is a polygonal stair tower for
the rood stair.
The north transept has 2-light C19 north window with cusped lights and square hood
mould. Similar 3-light C19 window to east; attached granite momument with illegible
inscription carved around the border, dated 1688.
The south aisle is of 6 bays, including the south porch in the second bay from the
west; on moulded plinth. All the south windows are 3-light, C15 Perpendicular, with
cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould. The four bays to east have a 1904
buttress and attached slate monument with stepped nowy head, to Richard Brown, 1790.
The bay to west has an inset carved stone with urn with stylised flowers, and urn
with sheild. The west end has 3-light decorated style window with 2-centered arch
and hood mould, with carved stone mask set above. The gable is stepped and built up
over a small single light. The east end has C15 4-light Perpendicular window with
cusped lights, Y tracery 4-centred arch and hood mould.
The south porch is gabled, in squared granite with moulded granite wall-plate and
kneelers to the gable. The outer doorway has triple shafts with carved capitals.
The interior has granite paved floor and granite benches to sides. Stone roof with
transverse vault with wall-plate and the main rib rising from corbels with primitive
carved masks, panels in the bays with carved crosses. There is a stone block by the
inner doorway with a carved consecration cross. The inner doorway has an irregular
rounded arch, hollow-moulded with relieving arch and a shallow image niche above.
Gate across and fine 6-panelled C18 door.
The west tower is in 3 stages, on a hollow-chamfered plinth with set-back weathered
buttresses, embattled parapet and large crocketed pinnacles. The west doorway has 2-
centred arch with roll-mouldings and hood mould, plank door. Slate headstone set
against the west wall, with nowy head, to Joanna Potter, 1819. Tall 3-light west
window of three 2-centred arched lancets with 4-centred arch and hood mould. Third
stage has 3-light bell-openings of similar design to the west window with hood
moulds. North side has lancets for stair.
Interior: Plastered walls. Tiled floor at the east end. Nave and chancel have C19
wagon roof. South aisle and north transept have wagon roofs retaining C15 carved
ribs and bosses and wall-plates, partly reconstructed in 1904. The tower arch is
chamfered, 2-centred, with shafts to sides with convex capitals. 4-centred arched
chamfered doorway to north to the stair, set above floor level. The nave and chancel
have 5-bay arcade with Pevsner A-type piers with carved capitals; the arches in the
nave are rounded, 4-centred arches in the chancel, all moulded. The arch to the
north transept is similar, with moulded piers and rounded arch. The north transept
has a 2-centred arched doorway, and a corresponding upper opening above the arcade.
In the east wall of the transept there is a C12 pillar piscina with chevron carving
on the pillar and a trefoil hood over, which is probably later, of circa C14.
Fragment of medieval wall painting above, with Gothic script. The north wall of the
nave has a carved image bracket. The north door is probably of the C18, the grille
or "devil's window" with a sliding hatch. The chancel has a piscina with trefoil
arch; south aisle has piscina with wider trefoil arch.
Fittings: Late C19 benches in chancel. C19 carved wooden lectern and reader's desk,
incorporating part of an early rood screen. C19 coffin trolley in south aisle. C13
stone font in south aisle, octagonal bowl in Catacleuse stone, each side with 2 blind
2-centred arches, central stem with four outer shafts. Bell in south aisle, by Wm.
Cockey, 1726. C18 plaster putto with wings in south aisle, probably remaining from a
monument. Letter of thanks from Charles I, oil on board with bolection-moulded nowy-
headed frame, in south aisle. Alms box on chamfered wooden pillar, probably C18
using earlier wood, by the south door in the south aisle. Royal Arms of George IV in
the nave, with bolection-moulded nowy-headed frame painted in faux marbre. Four
boards in the tower, wih painted texts, creed etc, oil on board with good lettering,
signed W. Smith, 1816.
Monuments in chancel: monument with convex oval slate tablet, plinth and Ionic
columns with broken pediment and urn, to John Hughes, 1749; marble tablet on slate
ground, to John Trevenen, 1829. In south aisle; a chest tomb with carved slate
inscription plate and low relief shield of arms, to Thomas Denys, 1589 and Margaret,
his wife, 1570; marble tablet in moulded frame with plinth on corbels and inclined
painted shield of arms with helm, good lettering with Latin inscription, to Robert
Quarme, 1708; marble tablet with Latin inscription to G.Q., 1728.
Glass: The south windows and the east window of the south aisle retain fragments of
The Ducys family monument in sources is not in the church.
Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.
Listing NGR: SW9349047222
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings