This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5911 / 51°35'28"N
Longitude: -2.5754 / 2°34'31"W
OS Eastings: 360234
OS Northings: 188188
OS Grid: ST602881
Mapcode National: GBR JR.BWDR
Mapcode Global: VH882.98VK
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 30 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35183
Location: Aust, South Gloucestershire, BS35
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Aust
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Elberton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 68 NW AUST ELBERTON
8/87 Church of St. John
Parish church. C14 tower, the rest mostly rebuilt in 1858. Snecked rubble,
limestone dressings, slate roofs with coped verges and kneelers and decorative
finials. Nave, north and south aisles, central tower, chancel, north porch,
south vestry entered from chancel. Decorated style tower. West front has
3 gables, 3-light central window, 2-light to each side, all with cusped tracery,
hood mould with foliate stops and relieving arch, small central trefoil headed
window in similar surround at upper level, plain trefoils to side gables;
plinth, weathered string, weathered buttresses, diagonal at corners to all
facades. South aisle of 3 bays has three 2-light windows in plain chamfered
surrounds, eaves cornice with foliate bosses, north aisle similar with 2-light
east window with hood mould, foliate stops and relieving arch and trefoil-
headed window above, porch in west bay has pointed arched opening, hood mould
with foliate stops, jamb shafts with foliate capitals and rosettes on central
order, plain shield in quatrefoil above, 2-light window in plain chamfered
surround to each side. East window of south aisle blocked by later C19 gabled
vestry in same style. Chancel has 3-light east window as on west front,
trefoil headed lancet above in hollow chamfered surround, cross finial, diagonal
buttresses with elaborate pinnacles and finials, 2 single light windows to north
and one to south, all with foliate stops to hood mould, balustrade above cornice
of colonnettes with coping and cast iron ridge coping. Tower has stair turret
with slit window to north east, 2-light window with bell louvres and cusped
tracery at upper level to all 4 sides, battlements with pinnacles at all corners
except turret, ribbed spire with finial and cockerel weathervane. Interior:
porch has scissors truss roof, plank door with decorative strap hinges in same
surround as outer opening, with foliage replacing rosettes. 2-bay nave has
plain piers with bases and foliate capitals, pointed arches, arch-brace scissors
truss roof with half shafts of Purbeck marble with foliate capitals and corbels
under arch-braces, aisles of 3 bays (up to crossing) have same roof with foliate
corbels, all windows in deep splayed reveals. Crossing has higher pointed
chamfered arches to east and west, lower to north and south, squints to north
and south, small door to north opens to rood stair, with upper door in north
side, flat chamfered ribbed ceiling with single leaf carved on each corbel.
Chancel has stone carving to east wall below window made up of small squares
each with a leaf, all windows have slender jamb shafts of Purbeck marble with
foliate capitals as imposts for moulded head, string course below windows, with
rosettes at east end, south vestry door in segmental pointed head has foliate
stop ending string course to west, 3 bay roof has pierced quatrefoils below
cornice, moulded ribs dividing into 9 panels with decorative bosses.
Fittings: Norman bowl font, damaged and disused. C16 carved altar table.
Pair of C17 carved oak sanctuary chairs in chancel, from Aust church. Jacobean
box pew in south aisle with panelling, butterfly hinges and knob finials.
Octagonal font and pulpit contemporary with rebuilding. Painted metal
endowment board with pointed arch and ivy leaf border for John Hicks 1734,
cf Hicks chest tomb (q.v.). Early mediaeval stone coffin in south aisle, found
at time of rebuilding in the aisle wall. Early C19 marble monument in south
aisle with draped urn, to Thomas Johnson 1829 by Greenway of Bristol and
Downend. (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England, Gloucestershire : The
Vale and The Forest of Dean 1970; and Batchelor K.B. : The Flowing Tide Tide 1980).
Listing NGR: ST6023488188
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings