This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3432 / 51°20'35"N
Longitude: -2.4877 / 2°29'15"W
OS Eastings: 366124
OS Northings: 160569
OS Grid: ST661605
Mapcode National: GBR JW.VLXS
Mapcode Global: VH898.THPN
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 21 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136439
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32785
Location: Farmborough, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Farmborough
Built-Up Area: Farmborough
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 66 SE FARMBOROUGH CHURCH LANE (east side)
3/45 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C15 west tower, C18 fenestration to nave, late C18
remodelling to chancel, 1869 restoration including new north aisle by J.E. Gill of
Bath. Squared and coursed rubble, stone dressings, ashlar to tower, parapet and
stair turret, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, north porch.
Nave south wall has three 2-light round-headed lights under flat heads and south
wall has three 2-light round-headed lights under flat heads and blocked round-
headed C18 doorway with keystone; one C19 cusped single light. Chancel has
similar light on south wall, a 3-light C19 east window with cinquefoil tracery and
angel stops and Gothick battlements with crocket on gable apex. Tower of
3 stages with setback buttresses, polygonal north east corner stair turret and
embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles and animal gargoyles at each corner.
West facade has a 4-centred arched doorway in moulded architrave with hoodmould
and C19 2-leaf plank door. Above this one 3-light cusped Perpendicular window
with pointed head and continuous dripmould and further single cusped light with
straight head. 1st and 2nd stage string courses, 2-light cusped bell openings
under pointed heads. Other faces blank except north facade which has clock set
across 2nd stage string course. North aisle has two 2-light C19 neo-Early
English windows with rosettes and uncut stops; aisle west window is similar of
3 lights. Gabled north porch with pointed headed chamfered doorway and uncarved
statue niche. North plank door under pointed head. Interior. Nave has 1869
four-bay arcade giving onto north aisle, triple chamfered tower arch, trefoil
headed piscina on south wall near tower arch and barrel roof. Fittings. Nave
has fine painted glass of 1838 brought from Christ Church, Brighton and inspired
by the Reynolds window in New College, Oxford, inserted into tower arch within
3-light wooden frame. C19 stone pulpit with trefoil arcading and Purbeck marble
shafts. Fine 1931 memorial stained glass window in south wall. Perpendicular
octagonal font with quatrefoil panels and C19 wooden cover near north door.
Chancel has 1822 neo-Classical monument on south wall. Some C19 stained glass in
north aisle west window. (Pevsner, Buildings of England : North Somerset and
Bristol, 1958; signed drawing by architect showing new pew layout on wall near
Listing NGR: ST6612460569
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings