This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6096 / 51°36'34"N
Longitude: -2.5812 / 2°34'52"W
OS Eastings: 359852
OS Northings: 190244
OS Grid: ST598902
Mapcode National: GBR JR.9TNV
Mapcode Global: VH87W.6STY
Entry Name: Corston Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136474
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35209
Location: Aust, South Gloucestershire, BS35
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Aust
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Littleton-on-Severn
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 59 SE AUST LITTLETON UPON SEVERN
3/107 Corston Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Main structure of early C17 possibly incorporating earlier
building, with later additions. Rubble with stone dressings, double Roman
tiled roof with gable stacks with diagonal brick chimneys, except south gable
with false rubble stack over staircase inside. T-plan, symmetrical west front.
2½ storeys with 2 gables rising to ridge height, 3 windows, all casements with
timber lintels and wooden ovolo mullions, 4-light at ground floor, 3-light at
1st floor and 2-light in gables, one blocked window at apex of each gable, with
drip mould, central 12-panelled door with studs and raised moulded battens, said
to come from Church of St. Mary of Malmesbury (q.v.) at time of C19 restoration,
has bolection moulded frame, timber lintel and drip mould, blocked cellar window
to right under timber lintel. East side of south wing has 3-light casement
with chamfered mullions and timber lintel, 2-light window in gable with flat
frame, leaded lights and drip mould, blocked window with hood mould above;
south east gable has blocked window at apex. East side has C20 timber casement
with timber lintel at ist floor, small blocked window to left of gable with hood
mould, plank door to right with glass insertion in plain frame with timber
lintel. North side has gable to north wing and east wing, probable former
dairy attached has door and window both with timber lintel and frame.
Interior: chamfered beams with bar and scroll stops, all windows bolection
moulded inside, through passage, ground floor left has heavy chamfered lintel to
fireplace (with c.1930 fireplace inserted), studded plank and batten doors.
Unusually wide winder stair rising to 2nd floor, has moulded grip handrail, moulded
newels and risers, elaborate splat balusters remaining at 2nd floor level, lower
levels have square balusters replacing former splat balusters; all doors at 1st
floor are plank doors with vertical mouldings, with studs and strap hinges to
reverse, bolection moulded frames with bar and scroll stops. At 2nd floor, all
blocked windows at apexes of gables retain ovolo mullions, wooden diamond
stanchions and leaded diamond lights, plank shutters. 5-bay roof has tie-beams
under floor, collars, 2 rows of purlins, diagonal joint between principal rafters,
no ridge, all chamfered. Previously had ball finials to all gables. Reputed
to be of monastic origin connected with Church of St. Mary of Malmesbury (q.v.).
Listing NGR: ST5985290244
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings