This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3104 / 51°18'37"N
Longitude: -2.5834 / 2°35'0"W
OS Eastings: 359429
OS Northings: 156972
OS Grid: ST594569
Mapcode National: GBR JR.XLVZ
Mapcode Global: VH89F.5BL8
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 15 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136547
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32823
Location: Hinton Blewett, Bath and North East Somerset, BS39
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Hinton Blewett
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 55 NE HINTON BLEWETT
5/83 Church of St. Margaret
Anglican parish church. C13 with C15 west tower rebuilt in 1780s, 1553 north
aisle and 1928 restoration. Squared and coursed rubble to nave, chancel and
south porch, random rubble to tower with ashlar dressings to parapet; stone
dressings, quoins, copings, lead roof to nave, slates to chancel. Nave, chancel,
west tower, north aisle, south porch. Nave south wall has two 3 cusped light
Perpendicular windows with flat hoodmoulds. Chancel south wall has a 2-light
Perpendicular window with flat hoodmould, a pointed arched doorway with hoodmould
and C20 plank door and a 3 ogee-headed-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould.
Coat of arms of Simon Seward (Rector 1514-1559) over doorway. Pointed headed
Perpendicular east window with hoodmould and next to this an early C17 wall
monument with pulvinated frieze. Tower of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses,
polygonal north east corner embattled stair turret and pierced quatrefoil parapet
with corner crocketted pinnacles. West facade has a complexly moulded pointed
arched doorway with hoodmould and C20 plank door. Above this a 3-light chamfered
mullioned window with flat hoodmould under flush relieving arch. Moulded
stringcourses to 1st and 2nd stages, 2 chamfered light bell openings with dense
quatrefoil piercing under hoodmoulds. North aisle has 6 Perpendicular windows of
3 cusped lights with quatrefoils above under flat hoodmoulds. Gabled south porch
with 2-leaf C18 plank gates, stone benches to either wall, richly moulded C13
pointed headed doorway with hoodmould and face stops and a pointed headed water
stoup to right hand. Interior. Nave has unusual 4-bay 1553 arcade giving onto
north aisle with hollow chamfered arches, necked capitals and piers of clustered
shafts, quadrangular on plan. Triple chamfered tower arch, embattled wooden wall
plate and C15 waggon roof with carved bosses. Rood loft stairway behind pulpit
on south wall. Hollow chamfered chancel arch with dying imposts, combined
trefoil headed aumbry and piscina on chancel south wall, C19 open rafter roof.
North aisle has stone bench along north wall and coved plank roof on moulded
transverse beams. Fittings. Nave has Norman font: waterleaf base to pillar,
nebule frieze to cushion capital bowl; C15 benches with traceried ends and some
fronts, 1638 pulpit and tester. Chancel has early C20 stained glass memorial
east window. Further stained glass in north aisle east window.
(Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5943256971
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings