History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hill, South Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6548 / 51°39'17"N

Longitude: -2.5082 / 2°30'29"W

OS Eastings: 364942

OS Northings: 195232

OS Grid: ST649952

Mapcode National: GBR JV.6V3M

Mapcode Global: VH87Q.GNWT

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 30 March 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136564

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35229

Location: Hill, South Gloucestershire, GL13

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Hill

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hill St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Falfield

Listing Text


ST 69 NW HILL

1/127 Church of St. Michael
30.3.60
G.V. II*

Parish church. C13 chancel, C14 tower, nave rebuilt 1759 by Sir Francis Fust,
early C18 Fust mortuary chapel restored or rebuilt C19, restoration of chancel
1870 by Ewan Christian, porch rebuilt, buttresses added 1909 by William Weir and
Temple Moore. Limestone and sandstone rubble, partly rendered, rock-faced
rubble porch and buttresses, stone dressings, stone slated roof with weathered
raised coped verges to-chancel and mortuary chapel with cross finial to chancel,
coved wooden eaves cornice to nave. West tower, and vestry, nave, chancel with
south mortuary chapel and porch. Early English style tower, chancel and
chapel. 3-stage tower on plinth has 2-light west window with cusped tracery
and hood mould at 1st stage, 2-light trefoil-headed window with bell louvres at
3rd stage at all sides, single light with trefoil head and stone bell louvres at
2nd stage south; stair turret to north west has lancets with ogee chamfered
heads, pyramidal top, ribbed spire with finial and cockerel weathervane has
small door with triangular head to north and lucarnes; freestone weathered
angle buttresses and strings. 3-bay nave has 3 windows to north and 2 to south
all with pointed segmental head all with square leaded lights, with hood moulds
to north, and slightly narrower to north east, gabled porch in 2nd bay from left
has finial and sundial above chamfered, round-headed opening, double door with
segmental head, east gable has sanctus bellcote with cornice, ribbed spire and
finial; coved wooden eaves cornice and buttresses. Single bay chancel has
2-light window to north, as at west end, 3-light east window with rosette stops
to hood mould, weathered raised coped verges and cross finial, rainwater head
dated 1870. Mortuary chapel has 2-light east window with hood mould and round
stops, tracery as west window, weathered raised coped verges, south side has
2-light window with hood mould, pointed arched door with chamfered surround and
hood mould, trefoil headed window with leaded lights, moulded surround and
rosette stops to hood mould. Single storey vestry to south of tower has
pointed arched door and pitched roof. Interior: tower has rib vault springing
from corbels ornamented with ball-flower, west window in deep splayed reveal
with double chamfered pointed arch, small studded door with strap hinges to
tower in pointed double-chamfered arch, pointed tower arch of 2 chamfered
arches. All nave windows in splayed reveals with slender hood mould and stops,
south door has segmental head and same hood mould, plaster ceiling, high round-
headed chancel arch in chamfered surround. Chancel has one C13 lancet with
leaded lights to south, others restored 1870, 2-light to north and south,
3-light to east, all with inner chamfered segmental head, heavy plank door to
mortuary chapel with strap hinges in plain frame, has coat of arms on shield,
roof has 10 narrow bays, scissors trusses rising from moulded wall plate, nave
and chancel have black and cream chequer tiled floor. Mortuary chapel has
2-light window to east and west as in chancel, single light to south with trefoil
head, leaded lights and chamfered segmental head to inner arch, pointed arched
plank door to south has chamfered pointed segmental head, black and white
chequered marble floor, 5 bay wagon roof with arch-braces on corbels with
shields to north, roof divided into 20 panels with moulded ribs and shield
bosses. Fittings: Norman bowl font in tower, cut down c.1550 into a hexagon
mounted on late Perpendicular moulded plinth. Oak pulpit dated 1629 in nave,
on panelled plinth, has carving and sounding board. 2 lecterns with carved
panels. C18 manor pew in nave with slender shafts to dentilled canopy. Early
C16 pews in nave with rectangular ends carved with rosettes, fixed to moulded
dado rail. 2 early C16 carvings in chancel, heraldic fragments of the Poyntz
crest and rebus of Abbot Newland of Bristol. Painted panelling behind altar,
2 early C17 sanctuary chairs in carved oak, one in chancel, one in chapel, C17
panelled chest in chancel, some C18 panelling above altar in chapel. Monument
in chancel to Lancelot Law, 1650, with Latin inscription; tablet over south
nave door commemorating Sir Francis Fust's restoration of 1759. Nave has
marble monument to Sir John Colt, 1845, with shield by Daw of Berkeley; marble
monument to Flora Fust, 1841 by Payton of Bristol; marble monument with fluted
pilasters to Elizabeth Hamilton, 1855, by Tyley of Bristol; elaborate marble
monument with urns,mourning female, palm tree and shield to Francis Fust, 1779;
marble monument to Thomas Hobby, 1781, by T. Paty of Bristol; marble monument
to Sarah Jones, 1812, by Lancaster of Bristol. Ledger stone in porch, 1648
with worn inscription. (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England,
Gloucestershire : The Vale and The Forest of Dean. 1970).


Listing NGR: ST6494295232

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.