This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5765 / 54°34'35"N
Longitude: -1.2348 / 1°14'5"W
OS Eastings: 449559
OS Northings: 520407
OS Grid: NZ495204
Mapcode National: GBR MHTJ.G7
Mapcode Global: WHD70.078G
Entry Name: Darlington Building Society
Listing Date: 28 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136683
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59706
Location: Middlesbrough, TS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough St Columba with St Paul
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH CORPORATION ROAD,
NZ 4920 SE north side.
9/22 Nos. 29 and 31
Including No. 65 Albert Road. Shop and hotel, 1912/13 by Moore and
Archibald Ltd (Middlesbrough), for Freeman Hardy and Willis Ltd. Altered
c.1980 when mansard roof, transverse stacks, dormers and part of parapet,
were removed. Now used as offices. Brick faced in buff terracotta.
Renewed flat roof. Baroque style. 3 storeys and attic, 3 bays and
chamfered right corner bay. Late C20 ground-floor office frontage, under
shallow fascia and cornice. Upper floors: applied Ionic Order in antis and
banded rusticated pilaster strips at ends, under deep overhanging cornice.
Renewed windows in architraves; double keystones, open segmental pediments
in end bays, and central open-pedimented Roman Doric aedicule, on first
floor. Ramped buttresses between recessed attic windows. Cornice and
remains of parapet. Corner bay has similar windows; renewed blank tablet
between floors, on engaged Roman Doric colonnettes flanking first-floor
window. Similar 3-bay right return, fronting Albert Road, has renewed doors
in Roman Doric doorcase, at right of central 3-light mullioned window, on
Listing NGR: NZ4955920407
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings