History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Hermes

A Grade II* Listed Building in St Erme, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3093 / 50°18'33"N

Longitude: -5.0259 / 5°1'33"W

OS Eastings: 184646

OS Northings: 49866

OS Grid: SW846498

Mapcode National: GBR ZH.4P06

Mapcode Global: FRA 08C6.V4K

Entry Name: Church of St Hermes

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136778

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63934

Location: St. Erme, Cornwall, TR4

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Erme

Built-Up Area: St Erme

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Erme

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Zelah

Listing Text

ST ERME CHURCHTOWN
SW 84 NW
7/95 Church of St. Hermes.
30.5.1967
--- II*

Anglican parish church within oval churchyard. C15 and 1819-20, by John
Foulston, for the Rev. Cornelius Cardew. Killas rubble with granite
quoins. Slate roofs. Tower of granite ashlar.
Plan: C19 rebuilt nave with undifferentiated chancel. Aisles running
full length and north and south (Truthan) transept chapels. C15 west
tower. South porch added 1867; outer opening an early C17 doorway of
granite moulded imposts and capitals carrying a 3-centred moulded arch,
blind spandrels infilled with a ball. Windows all C19 in Perpendicular
3-light form., Buttresses crowned by stumpy crocketed pinnacles with cross
terminals set on walls behind gutters, and similar spires to transept
gables. Moulded C15 west door and 3-light window over set in 3 stage
tower. Perpendicular bell openings and crenellated parapet. Stair in
north-west angle.
Interior: As rebuilt in early C19, unplastered. Wide nave continuous
with chancel and reused C16 6-bay St Stephen's porcelain granite Cornish
arcade, the roof higher than earlier nave, the creasing of which remains
on tower. Panelled segmental barrel vaulted ceiling with reused carved
bosses, and similar shallow vaults over aisles. Tower arch chamfered,
with a chamfered inner arch dying into imposts. Two very large mask
corbels reset above original roof line. Later C19 south door set where
former window. Arches to transept chapels as nave arcade. Priest's door
on south side of chancel tight between buttressces.

Fittings: Font, at west end of nave, a C13 basin on a single column,
ornamented with tendril scroll around rim and leaf pattern on each side.
Moulded octagonal base of later medieval date. Pulpit, a deeply carved
oak memorial of 1903. Carved oak screens in easternmost bays of arcades.
One pew of C15-early C16, altered, but retaining one carved end and one
linenfold end.

Monuments: South aisle: (a) marble slab set flush in limestone frame,
Latin inscription to Rev. Cornelius Cardew DD, died 1831, and wives. (b)
White marble tablet on grey field. Tablet has cornice and splayed fluted
ends, garland above, arms and corbel below. Pretty. To Mary Cardew, died
1808. In south transept (c) Corniced tablet on square grey field, by
Stephens of Exeter. Mutules below. To Edward Collins of Truthan, died
1831. (d) White marble tablet with cornice, crest and arms, scrolled
apron below, by W.Pearce of Truro. To Edward Collins, died 1833. In North
Aisle (e) simple corniced marble tablet on grey slate, to George Simmons
of Trevella, died 1854, also by Pearce. North transept: (f)
Commemorative slab for the rebuilding of the church in 1820 at cost of
£1,400. Richard Bevan, builder. The monuments are a group related in
date to the rebuilding.
Miscellaneous: Royal Arms of George IV dated 1827, painted on metal sheet.
Lion and Unicorn partially emerging from behind an inclined oval shield
with garter. Signed.
Brass: Robert Trencreeke of Trencreeke. 1594. in civil dress, with wife
and family.
The earlier church had a large north chapel and, apparently, no aisles.
The Hermes dedication dates from the rebuilding. St Hermes was martyred
in Rome on 28th. August AD 116 or 117.
(Lake's Parochial History of Cornwall. Vol I: 344-353. Pevsner.
Buildings of England, CORNWALL. Dunkin, E.H.W. The Monumental Brasses of
Cornwall, 1882. Colvin. H. 'Biographical Dictionary ' p. 318-9).


Listing NGR: SW8464649866

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.