This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5457 / 54°32'44"N
Longitude: -1.2484 / 1°14'54"W
OS Eastings: 448717
OS Northings: 516980
OS Grid: NZ487169
Mapcode National: GBR MHQW.J7
Mapcode Global: WHD75.S0PH
Entry Name: Acklam Hall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59736
Location: Middlesbrough, TS5
Electoral Ward/Division: Acklam
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Acklam West St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH HALL DRIVE
NZ 41 NE (4816) (north side), Acklam.
3/40 Acklam Hall
Manor house, c.1680 for Sir William Hustler. Extended 1845; refaced,
attic-storey and stacks rebuilt, and porch, dining- room and kitchens added
1910/12 by W.H. Brierley (York). Converted to school 1935. Within partly
moated site. Brick with sandstone dressings. Lakeland slate roofs; flat
roof on dining room. U-plan. Palladian style, after Inigo Jones; with
Jacobethan attic dormers. 2 storeys and attic; 7-bay entrance front, the
2nd and 6th bays slightly projecting. Central closed Ionic porch with
fluted columns; panelled double doors in pilaster-and-archivolt surround
with carved keystone; parapet with Hustler arms and enriched vases at ends.
Renewed 24-pane sash windows in architraves under broken pediments
alternately segmental. Raised aprons with enriched corbels between floors.
Chamfered-rusticated quoins, moulded plinth and top entablature. Straight
parapet with moulded copings, broken by 4 linked shaped-gabled dormers, with
3-light mullioned-and-transomed windows with leaded glazing. Square-section
lead downpipes, with ornate brackets and hopper-heads. Enriched console
kneelers, and banded-rusticated corniced end stacks with blind round-headed
niches in returns. Projecting 1-storey, 3-bay right dining-room extension
has banded rusticated clasping pilaster strips and slightly-projecting
centre holding sash window in architrave, with enriched head under cornice
hood. Flanking round-headed niches, under blind windows. Similar
entablature and parapet with balustraded centre. House has one-bay returns
with 2 mullioned attic windows. 6-bay rear left extension, the 2nd and 3rd
bays projecting slightly under similar shaped gable. Similar windows and
balustraded parapet. Dining room has similar one-bay left and 3-bay right
returns. 8-bay right rear extension. 1912 1-storey, 5-bay scullery adjoins
east side of rear extension. Bays, separated by pilasters, have raised
panels, with tile-louvred vents and vesicas with glazing bars in raised
gauged-brick surrounds, in alternate bays. Right end bay has mid-C20 door.
Hipped roof. Right banded-rusticated elliptical-headed gateway, with
keystone and pediment. INTERIOR : decorations of several periods,
originally plain and subsequently enriched in C18 and C20. Hall has wood
panelling of early C18 and heavily-ornamented panelled ceiling of 1912 by
George Bankart (London). Smoking-room ceiling c.1740 with richly ornamented
frieze, cornice and centre medallion. Boudoir: richly-carved wood fireplace
and panelled walls; heavily-moulded coved cornice and geometric-panelled
ceiling, with painting of cherub in deeply-recessed centre panel; all
c.1730. 1912 dining room has enriched panelled walls, and ceiling similar
to hall. Library : panelled, with garlanded Ionic pilasters, moulded door
architraves and deeply-carved wood chimney piece, of early C18. Original
ceiling of deeply-recessed panels of different shapes around a central
octagon; similar octagon in extended bay (drawing room) with Royal arms
dated 1684, Hustler arms and paintings in other panels. Broad ribs have
foliage, flowers and suspended doves and griffins, reputedly by John Halbert
1684, but stylistically of early/mid C18. Original painted pine open-well
staircase, with ball-and-artichoke finials to large square newel posts.
Carved frieze on handrail and foliage garlands on rails, strings and newels.
Similar carving on dado rails and pilasters corresponding to newels. Single
and double spiral-twist balusters. Stair well runs up to roof : domed light
with heavy borders and elaborate plasterwork dated 1683, with arms of
Hustler, Savile and Osbaldeston. Groined vaulted corridors lead off on
first floor. Lower 1-and 2-storey rear extensions and mid C20 classrooms
adjoining east side and gateway, are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ4871716980
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings