This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3617 / 50°21'42"N
Longitude: -4.8841 / 4°53'2"W
OS Eastings: 194966
OS Northings: 55284
OS Grid: SW949552
Mapcode National: GBR ZQ.ZBCN
Mapcode Global: FRA 08N2.WJV
Entry Name: Goonvean China Clay Works - Engine House with Boiler-House and Detached Chimney
Listing Date: 20 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71473
Location: St. Stephen-in-Brannel, Cornwall, PL26
Civil Parish: St. Stephen-in-Brannel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Stephen-in-Brannel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST STEPHEN IN GOONVEAN CHINA CLAY WORKS
SW 95 NV BRANNEL
1/133 Engine house with boiler-house and
- detached chimney
Engine house with detached chimney; housing a pumping engine. Dated 1910. Granite
rubble with brick dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and gable ends.
Chimney in granite rubble with stone dressings.
Plan: Rectangular plan pumping engine house with detached chimney about 10 metres to
east. Formerly used for pumping the china clay pits.
Exterior: The engine house is 3-storey, with symmetrical front gable end to east;
central plank door with sidelights and round-arched fanlight with radial glazing bars
and four courses of brickwork round the arch, datestone set as a keystone. First and
second floors have central round-arched 12-pane sash with brick arches. Later
additions at the left sides. The right side has similar round-arched sash at
first floor, ground floor window blocked. The left side has a large lean-to which is
the boiler-house and similar sash at second floor. At the rear, there is a doorway
at upper ground floor level with round brick arch and keystone, 4-panelled door,
formerly leading to a platform. Rectangular bob opening above, weatherboarded at the
top of the gable, and with cast iron beam housing.
The chimney is of circular plan, tapered, with a bull-nose moulding at the top as a
Interior: The beam engine survives inside. It was built in the 1860s by Harveys of
Hayle and originally situated in an engine house in St Agnes. The engine was moved
here from Goon Innis mine, St Agnes in 1910. The existing beam was cast in 1928 to
replace one that broke. The new (1928) beam was cast by Holmans of Cambourne and it
is reputedly the last in the world to be cast. The boilers have been removed.
Only 6 Cornish beam engines survive and a few more exist outside the country.
This is a rare early example.
Source: Provide new source. SMR - J. Smith.Trounson, J.: Mining in Cornwall Vol. II.
Listing NGR: SW9496655284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings