This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2797 / 50°16'46"N
Longitude: -4.8395 / 4°50'22"W
OS Eastings: 197791
OS Northings: 46045
OS Grid: SW977460
Mapcode National: GBR ZT.SJ3W
Mapcode Global: FRA 08R9.8FC
Plus Code: 9C2Q75H6+V6
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 10 February 1967
Last Amended: 15 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71546
Location: St. Ewe, Cornwall, PL26
Civil Parish: St. Ewe
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Ewe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST EWE ST EWE
SW 94 NE
1/46 Church of All Saints (formerly
10.2.67 listed as Church of St Ewe)
Parish church. C13; enlarged C14 with tower of later C14, alterations and additions of C15. Late C19 restoration. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings. North transept in squared granite and slatestone rubble; north porch in squared granite rubble. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and gable ends with raised coped verges and cross finials.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one; probably originally of cruciform plan, with the north transept remaining. West tower added in C14, with the south aisle and south porch added circa early C15. The north porch is probably of circa late C14. The chancel was remodelled circa C19 with an organ chamber added to north.
Exterior: Of the nave, only part to north is visible; between the north transept and the north porch there is a 2-light C19 window with trefoil lights, 2-centred arch, with hood mould and relieving arch; similar window to west of the porch and slate tablet attached to the wall, to John Read, 1755. The chancel has C19 5-light window at the east end, in Decorated style, with cusped lights and tracery, 4-centred arch with hood mould and relieving arch. The lead flashing fixed to the south wall is dated 1727, IS and CP. There is a 2-light C19 window to north with cusped lights, square head and hood mould with scroll stops. The north transept has 3-light C19 window in the north gable end, with trefoil lights, tracery, 4-centred arch, hood mould and relieving arch. At the east side is
a C19 stack with weathered shaft and C19 3-light window with cusped lights, square head and hood mould. The west tower is in 2 stages with broached stone spire; diagonal weathered buttresses with weathered string course and chamfered plinth. The spire has single bell openings with trefoil arches and slate louvres, gablet and cross finial. There is a band of quatrefoil decoration half-way up the spire, with finial at the top and weathervane. At second stage to west there is a 2-light window with chamfered surround an slate louvres; second stage to north has lancet with trefoil head and slate louvres. There is a C14 west window, restored C19, with 2-centred arch, chamfered Y tracery, hood mould and relieving arch. The south aisle is of six bays, including the south porch in the second bay from the west; on chamfered plinth. All the south windows are C19, 2-light, with trefoil lights, 2-centred arch, hood mould and relieving arch. At the east and west ends there is a 3-light C19 window with 4-centred arch, hood mould and relieving arch. The south porch is gabled, with outer 4-centred arched doorway with two chamfered orders, with clustered shafts with carved capitals to sides. C19 plain wooden gates across the doorway. The interior of the porch has granite paved floor and stone benches. C19 wagon roof with moulded ribs. Inner 2-centred arched doorway, moulded, with hood mould and relieving arch; C19 plank door with good strap hinges. Demifigure with shield and ancient colour remaining set above the doorway. The north porch is gabled, with 2-centred arched, chamfered outer doorway. The interior of the porch has granite paved floor with stone benches to sides. Circa C17 unceilded wagon roof with plain ribs and wall-plates. Inner 2-centred arched moulded doorway with hood mould and relieving arch, of C19, with C19 wrought iron lantern set over, C19 plank door with strap hinges.The north organ chamber is entered through a corridor from the north transept; the north gable end has C19 2-light window with cusped lights, square head and hood mould and scroll stops. 4-centred arch with carved spandrels set in the masonry above.
Interior: Tiled floor, with C19 polychrome tiles in the chancel. Plastered walls.The nave and chancel have unceiled wagon roof with moulded ribs of early C19. The north transept has C15 wagon roof with carved ribs and bosses and wall-plates. The south aisle has very fine C15 wagon roof, unceiled, with fine carved ribs and bosses and C19 wall-plates. The east end has moulded ribs and high quality carved bosses. Tall narrow 2-centred arch to tower, with relieving arch; no tower stair. Wide 4-centred arch to north transept with chamfered imposts, plastered above the imposts. There is a C19 stone screen across the north transept with double doors with cranked arch, plank doors with strap hinges. To east there is a 4-centred arched chamfered doorway with C19 plank door with strap hinges, originally leading to the rood stair, now leading into the organ chamber. The chancel has a chamfered timber lintel over the opening to the organ chamber to north; deep splayed reveal to the north window and stone shelf with cyma moulded edge to north. 6-bay south arcade with 4-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders; piers with four major and four minor shafts, capitals decorated with small stylised flowers and castellated abaci. One pier at the west end has a different style capital with chevron carving; the arcade may have been
Fittings: C12 stone font in south aisle, a square bowl with shafts surmounted by
masks at the corners, central circular shaft on moulded base. One C15 carved bench end in south aisle. One large hatchment in the south aisle, oil on board with shield of arms, moulded frame with skulls, crossed bones and hourglasses around the frame, probably early C18; two smaller similar hatchments in the nave, with Latin mottoes. Very fine C15 rood screen, complete, each section with two panels of blank tracery with 4-light tracery and an elaborate cornice above the coving, with carved birds and beasts etc. C19 pulpit in nave, incorporating C15 carved bench ends. C19 pews in nave, aisles and chancel. Granite slab in the nave with raised carved fleuree cross C17 stocks in south aisle.
Monuments in nave: marble monument with pedimental top on slate ground, to John Hope, 1813, by Bedford of 256 Oxford Street, London; marble monument on slate ground with draped urn and roundel for inscription, to William Williams, 1785, by Isbell of Stonehouse. In south aisle: marble monument with bust, scrolled pediment and urn with flowers, to William Mohun, 1737; slate and stone monument with convex oval inscription tablet with bayleaf surround, Ionic columns, plinth with lion corbels and putto with wings, broken pediment with external flame and inclined shield of arms, Latin inscription to Richard Penkevill, 1687. Granite ledger with shield and motto, undated. Stone monument, partly plastered, with plain Ionic pilasters, plinth with two oval coats of arms, broken pediment with two bronze-painted putti, slate inscription tablet with gold painted lettering, to Elizabeth Seymour, 1710.
Glass: The west window in the tower has good C19 stained glass with figures of St
Philip and St Stephen.
Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.
Listing NGR: SW9779146043
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings