History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wickwar, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5985 / 51°35'54"N

Longitude: -2.4006 / 2°24'2"W

OS Eastings: 372348

OS Northings: 188921

OS Grid: ST723889

Mapcode National: GBR JZ.BJW1

Mapcode Global: VH95M.B2RY

Entry Name: Parish Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 3 March 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137110

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34773

Location: Wickwar, South Gloucestershire, GL12

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Wickwar

Built-Up Area: Wickwar

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Wickwar Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Wickwar

Listing Text

ST 7288 WICKWAR CHURCH LANE

9/150 Parish Church of the Holy
3.3.61 Trinity
G.V.
II*

Parish Church (Anglican). C12, extensively remodelled C14 and C15 and restored
c.1881 by W.L. Bernard. West tower; nave; north aisle and north chapel;
south porch; chancel. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings, ashlar tower;
tiled roof behind embattled parapets to nave and north aisle. West tower: C14,
3 stages with diagonal buttresses which have attached pinnacles on the off-sets;
panelled embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles and gargoyles; polygonal
stair turret on north east corner; 3-light openings to the bell chamber with
transoms, reticulated tracery and pierced stonework; image niches on each
elevation of the 2nd stage; 2-light west window and west doorway with enriched
spandrels. Nave: three 2-light square headed Perpendicular style windows under
dripmoulds with square stops, cusped heads to tracery; remains of projecting
rood stair turret; projecting gargoyles. South porch: embattled parapet;
heavily moulded doorway. North aisle: 1881; four Perpendicular style 3-light
windows with cusped heads to the tracery and 4-centred heads under dripmoulds.
North chapel: 1881; projecting organ chamber of 1929 has inset on the north
wall a figure of St. John the Baptist set under a 4-centred head and dated 1496
with an inscription which reads: "STE. JOHES BAPTISTA", over the image and, "IN
THE YERE OF OURE LORDS GOD M.CCC. III SCORE XVI. TRINITE MONDAY XXII DAY OF
MAY" (removed from the nearby, demolished, Pool House). Chancel: 1881;
2-light Perpendicular style windows; 3-light east window with the datestone
1749 over. Interior. 4 bay arcade of 1881 of attached shafts with a hollow
moulding; C19 Perpendicular style roofs. Chancel arch 1881. Fine fan vault
to the tower. Pulpit: Jacobean, polygonal on a C19 ashlar base. Font:
Perpendicular, octagonal with a quatrefoil bowl. Monuments. Chancel:
William Giles, 1750, baroque coloured and white marbles, pilasters, and swan neck
pediment with an urn finial; Purnell funeral hatchment, 1743, restored; draped
marble plaque to Mary Worrall, 1694; Hobbs, 1740, coloured marbles, heraldry
under broken pediment with urn finial; William Worrall, 1735. Nave: William
Hobbs, 1860, Gothic by Wood of Bristol; Stokes, 1773, classical marble tablet
with an urn; John Purnell, 1726, baroque tablet of coloured marbles with an open
pediment, urn finial and obelisk background. North aisle: Spert, 1638, plain
tablet; Thomas Stokes, 1762 by W. Paty of Bristol, coloured marble; Elizabeth
Yate, 1721, baroque tablet with cherubs and skill; J. Hickes, 1739, classical
marble tablet; John Summer, 1763, classical ashlar with fluted pilasters and
pediment. Brass chandelier of 1728 in the chancel; on of c.1920 in the north
aisle. Verey D, The Buildings of England : Gloucestershire, the Vale and Forest
of Dean, 1970.


Listing NGR: ST7234888921

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.