History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Spirit

A Grade II Listed Building in Distington, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5977 / 54°35'51"N

Longitude: -3.5427 / 3°32'33"W

OS Eastings: 300427

OS Northings: 523600

OS Grid: NY004236

Mapcode National: GBR 3HP8.TM

Mapcode Global: WH5YW.KP6N

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Spirit

Listing Date: 9 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137112

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76116

Location: Distington, Copeland, Cumbria, CA14

County: Cumbria

District: Copeland

Civil Parish: Distington

Built-Up Area: Distington

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Distington Holy Spirit

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Siddick

Listing Text

NY 02 SW DISTINGTON CHURCH ROAD (South
side) Distington

2/20 Church of the Holy
Spirit
G.V.
II


Parish Church, 1886 by Hay & Henderson replacing medieval church. Snecked
rubble with quoins on chamfered plinth; stepped buttressing. Steeply pitched
graduated slate roofs with stone copings, kneelers, and apex crosses; decorative
ridge tiles. Corniced stone octagonal chimney to north side of chancel. 4-bay
nave, 2-bay chancel with low tower offset to south. 3 lancets to west end with
cinquefoil above. South porch, with moulded, pointed arch, in 2nd bay from
west. Paired lancet aisle windows; plate traceried nave clerestory windows each
3 quatrefoils under pointed containing arch. Lancets to north side of chancel,
3-stage tower (incorporating vestry) to south; east window 5 stepped lancets
with nook shafts. Interior: Pointed nave arcade carried on polished granite
piers with foliate capitals (carved 1897). Roof trusses spring from corbels;
decorative tie-beams. Moulded chancel arch on corbels. 3-seater sedilia with
piscina and aumbry in chancel. Ornate altar carved with interlaced arcading and
angels in niches. Polygonal pulpit carved with scenes from Bible. Bowl-shaped
marble font on pillar at west end; octagonal stone font from earlier church
dated 1662. Stained glass by Powell & Co.


Listing NGR: NY0042723600

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.