This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2932 / 52°17'35"N
Longitude: -0.5187 / 0°31'7"W
OS Eastings: 501124
OS Northings: 267153
OS Grid: TL011671
Mapcode National: GBR G05.7NW
Mapcode Global: VHFPF.YMNC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 13 July 1964
Last Amended: 12 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137357
English Heritage Legacy ID: 36290
Location: Melchbourne and Yielden, Bedford, MK44
Civil Parish: Melchbourne and Yielden
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Yelden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 06NW MELCHBOURNE AND YIELDEN CHURCH LANE (SOUTH SIDE),
1/103 Church of St Mary the Virgin
Church. Predominantly C14. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings.
Chancel with north vestry, nave, south aisle, south porch, west tower with short
broach spire. Chancel, remodelled mid C14, retains C13 door in south wall. C14
piscina and double sedilia to south wall, Easter sepulchre to north wall. Vestry
probably C14. C14 chancel arch. Nave has C13 blocked doorway and C19 organ chamber
to north wall. C15 clerestory. Roof retains some C15 timbers with roughly carved
human heads and shields. C14 tomb recess with effigy to north wall. 4-bay south
arcade, projecting corbels resting on grotesque figures. Later C13 south aisle,
widened C14, with remains of C13 east lancet. C14 piscina and tomb canopy with
crocketed gable and pinnacles to South wall. Fragmentary wall paintings, St James
on east wall cut by 1792 memorial, St Christopher and masonry pattern on south wall.
C15 octagonal font with crocketed conical wooden cover. Pulpit and some pews c.1500.
C15 south porch. Porch, south aisle, nave and chancel have crenellated parapets.
3-stage mid C14 west tower with band of carved foliage, animals and grotesque heads
under spire eaves.
Listing NGR: TL0112467153
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings