This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1893 / 50°11'21"N
Longitude: -5.522 / 5°31'19"W
OS Eastings: 148697
OS Northings: 38077
OS Grid: SW486380
Mapcode National: GBR DXR5.MF4
Mapcode Global: VH12L.7HLR
Entry Name: Church of Saint Towennac
Listing Date: 10 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137373
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70551
Location: Towednack, Cornwall, TR26
Civil Parish: Towednack
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Towednack
Church of England Diocese: Truro
TOWEDNACK CHURCHTOWN, Towednack
SW 43 NE
4/212 Church of Saint Towennac
Parish church. Base of Norman font, C13 or C14 chancel arch and chancel, otherwise
C15. Granite ashlar and some granite rubble. Dry Delabole slate roofs with coped
gable ends. C19 crested clay ridge tiles.
Plan: nave rebuilt C15; chancel late C13 or early C14; C15 west tower; C15 south
aisle and south porch. Windows and roofs replaced in the C19.
Exterior: squat 2-stage embattled west tower with original doorway and window over
and louvred 2-light windows to upper stage. Fat external stair turret to north east
corner approached from doorway in nave. 4-centred arched south doorway, possibly
reused pointed porch doorway with 1720 sundial over and basket arched north doorway.
The C19 windows are 2 or 3-light with hoodmoulds and round-headed lights except for
chancel east window with intersecting tracery within a pointed arch, possibly C19
copy of original window.
Interior: C13 or C14 ordered pointed chancel arch, thick chancel walls: C13 piscina;
C15 4-bay arcade with octagonal piers carrying 4-centred arches; circa 1500 4-centred
tower arch with octagonal responds and basket-arched doorway of same date to tower
stair. C19 waggon roofs. Plain plastered walls, possibly over old plaster.
Fittings: Norman granite altar with incised crosses reinstated in 1934 (church
guide); chevron-headed Norman base to octagonal font dated 1720 with initials WB and
JR; 2 C15 carved oak bench ends reused to bench in the chancel; medieval incised
cross shaft in porch, otherwise C19 or C20 fittings.
Listing NGR: SW4869738077
Other nearby listed buildings