This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5377 / 54°32'15"N
Longitude: -3.5093 / 3°30'33"W
OS Eastings: 302444
OS Northings: 516869
OS Grid: NY024168
Mapcode National: GBR 3HYZ.14
Mapcode Global: WH5Z9.265P
Entry Name: Former Stable Block to Rheda Mansion
Listing Date: 5 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137442
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76194
Location: Arlecdon and Frizington, Copeland, Cumbria, CA26
Civil Parish: Arlecdon and Frizington
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Frizington St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 01 NW
ARLECTON AND FRIZINGTON
Former Stable Block to Rheda Mansion (Sometimes known as Rheda)
Former stable block with accommodation; it served Rheda but has itself at times been known as Rheda. Derelict at time of inspection (May 1989). 1887, built for Thomas Dixon, barrister and later (1903) High Sheriff of Cumberland. Snecked sandstone ashlar; slate gable-end roofs. Built in a Cumbrian Baronial-Revival style complete with pele tower. Courtyard plan, entrance range (with 'pele tower') to W, house and accommodation to S, stables and ancillary buildings to N, other service and storage blocks to E (partially ruinous). Entrance front: large gateway, with pedestrian gate to left, both under depressed moulded arches set into a short stretch of curtain wall between pele (to the left) and house (to right); pele stands well forward with small 2-light windows under flat arches; curved stair turret and corbelled projection at parapet level to frontwall, corner turret to rear overlooking entrance, all in a convincing C16 style. 2 gable ends to house, one projecting, the other set well back, with 2 and 3-light mullioned windows under flat arches. A small single storeyed range with 3-light window under a gable, to the left of the pele, makes the return to the varied and well managed N (stable) elevation; here are numerous roof lines, recessions and projections, corbelled kneelers and heavy coping, 1 and 2-light flat-headed windows, and a large ridge stack; S (house) elevation, also markedly asymmetrical, with 2 gables (with heavy coping and corbelled kneelers), are featuring a corbelled canted oriel; mullioned windows under flat arches. Courtyard: similar varied treatment of elevations; stable block with central wing, much corbelling, 2 and 3-light windows with transoms; doorways with depressed late-Gothic arches with overlight; planked doors with strap hinges. Inner elevation of S range includes a polygonal wing under hipped roof with a recessed drinking fountain. Here and elsewhere are some re-used C18 datestones. Internally; the stables retain their stalls with turned balusters and ball revels, planked partitions surmounted by iron grilles with ramped rail. Overall, a carefully designed, coherent and dramatic composition with good detailing: architect not known.
Listing NGR: NY0244416869
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings