This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.2205 / 54°13'13"N
Longitude: -2.7186 / 2°43'7"W
OS Eastings: 353238
OS Northings: 480768
OS Grid: SD532807
Mapcode National: GBR 9MGM.6T
Mapcode Global: WH83H.65NV
Entry Name: Duke's Bridge over Kendal/Lancaster Canal 170 Metres East North East of Townend Farm
Listing Date: 20 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76563
Location: Beetham, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Beetham
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Beetham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
A6070 (off West side)
Duke's Bridge over
Canal 170m East-
North-east of Townend
Canal bridge c.1816. Probably by John Fletcher, engineer, from the original
designs of John Rennie whose route for the canal was authorised in 1792.
Squared, coursed limestone with limestone string and copings and rounded fender
course. Elliptical arch, with rusticated voussoirs and keystone, over canal and
towpath; smaller arch with similar details over cattle creep to East.
Shallow-arched parapets, curved in plan, continuing into retaining walls
terminated by pilasters. Steps up to roadway at South-west corner. Approx. 6m
wide between parapets. The bridge is a particularly fine example on this
stretch of the canal and takes its name from the Duke of Cumberland Public House
which formerly stood at the crossroads to the East of it.
Listing NGR: SD5323880768
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings