This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3959 / 50°23'45"N
Longitude: -4.711 / 4°42'39"W
OS Eastings: 207411
OS Northings: 58629
OS Grid: SX074586
Mapcode National: GBR N3.SFQ5
Mapcode Global: FRA 1800.4GV
Plus Code: 9C2Q97WQ+9H
Entry Name: Trethew
Listing Date: 28 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137683
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70774
Location: Lanlivery, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Lanlivery
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanlivery
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 05 NE
Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1676 on fireplace, possibly of earlier origin, and with
alterations probably of C19 to front, substantially altered and enlarged late C20.
Granite rubble with granite dressings, C20 slate roofs with gable ends and gable end
stacks in granite ashlar, rear wing heated by stack formerly at gable end on slope of
The plan has been substantially altered; the front range is of 2-room plan,
originally with central passage and each room heated by gable end stack. To rear
fright, a single storey wing heated by end stack, of 1 room plan; this has been
enlarged in late C20 to form a wide gable-ended wing of 1½ storeys. There is an
outshut at the left gable end of front range, single storey, with pigeonloft; possibly
of late C17/early C18.
2 storeys; single storey porch in course of construction at time of survey,
incorporating outer doorway of granite, with 4-centred arch, hollow-chamfered, inner
C20 glazed door. The bay to left appears to have been extended forwards, and eaves
level raised in C20, with 20-pane sash at ground floor and 6-pane sash at first floor
under eaves. To right, ground floor 6-pane sash with granite lintel and jambs, small
2-light casement under eaves above porch and 12-pane sash at first floor right.
Right gable end has external stack with cornice, left gable end has stack with slate
weathering. Addition to left has lean-to roof and 2-centred arched chamfered granite
doorway, probably re-sited, and glazed in C20, with pigeon holes above in slate,
irregularly spaced. The right gable end has C20 window at ground floor left, 12-pane
sash at first floor right. The rear wing, to right, projects slightly from gable end
and has granite quoins, 1 pitch only remaining from original roof, with rag slates
remaining. The C20 alterations have considerably widened the wing, and the stack,
formerly nearly central, is now below the ridge to the left. Single storey, with C20
French window. Gable end stack in rubble, with curved oven at base, C20 window to
right and doorway to left of stack with granite lintel. The C20 addition extends to
right, with 2 windows and half-glazed door. The side of the C20 addition has half-
glazed door. Rear of main range has C20 window at first floor right; door to rear of
outshut and C20 window to side.
Interior : Much altered in C19 and C20; stair originally in front range removed, and
C20 stair in addition. The gable end fireplace in the rear wing has a flat granite
lintel with carved initials and date W1676K.
The house was formerly part of the Pelyn estate, sold in 1925.
Listing NGR: SX0741158629
Other nearby listed buildings