History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hazells Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sandy, Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1355 / 52°8'7"N

Longitude: -0.2639 / 0°15'50"W

OS Eastings: 518920

OS Northings: 249999

OS Grid: TL189499

Mapcode National: GBR J53.03R

Mapcode Global: VHGMT.CLV8

Entry Name: Hazells Hall

Listing Date: 29 May 1979

Last Amended: 21 December 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137713

English Heritage Legacy ID: 37514

Location: Sandy, Central Bedfordshire, SG19

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Sandy

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sandy

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sandy

Listing Text


1.
5124 SANDY EVERTON ROAD
Hazells Hall
TL 15 SE 1/1
TL 14 NE 2/1 29.5.79

II*


2.
Country house, with main east and south facades of 1720s, rebuilt and refaced
in 1790s, of red brick dressed with stone. Roofs are of slate, masked by parapets
that are balustraded at intervals corresponding to the fenestration below.
Entrance (east) facade of 7 windows is broken by a slightly projecting bay
containing central 3 windows; on ground level stands a simple wooden tetrastyle
portico in a Tuscan order. There is a C19 one storey extension to right-hand
side, which forms a billiard room. Garden (south) facade, has 2 slight recesses
on either side of the central bay of 3 windows, which is pedimented to frame
a coat of arms in stone; the 11 windows of this facade being disposed symmetrically
as follows 2:2:3:2:2. The windows, equally tall in each storey, hang in broad
wooden frames behind very slight reveals. An Adam type fanlight is set above
the simple front door, which is probably a later insertion, possibly contemporary
with the portico which is post 1814. Rear 3 storey west wing belongs to the
1790's, with a fine north side 2 storey coach house, with central carriage
arch surmounted by clock tower, of circa 1800.


Listing NGR: TL1891750070

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.