This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.116 / 52°6'57"N
Longitude: -0.2647 / 0°15'52"W
OS Eastings: 518917
OS Northings: 247832
OS Grid: TL189478
Mapcode National: GBR H3Y.CX1
Mapcode Global: VHGN0.C2FP
Entry Name: The Lodge
Listing Date: 21 December 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137882
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37542
Location: Sandy, Central Bedfordshire, SG19
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Sandy
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sandy
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
5124 SANDY POTTON ROAD
TL14 NE 2/36
1869-70 by Henry Clutton. Two storeys. Yellow brick, with a clay tile roof.
Neo-Elizabethan style, with left-hand and central projecting gables and right-hand
forward projecting double gabled wing with octagonal angle turret. Contemporary
stone mullioned casements. Central block and left gable have plain parapet.
Clusters of 2 or 3 rectangular chimney stacks set at right angles to the bases.
Central gable has 2 storey stone porch with pierced parapet. Double doors
in arched surround, with decorated spandrels and drip moulding.Armorial bearings
above the door are of Sir Arthur Wellesley Peel, 1st Viscount Peel of Sandy,
and of Adelaide, daughter of Sir William Stratford Dugdale.
Garden front in similar style, but flatter and with 2 slightly projecting gables
echoing those of the facade.
Of the original interior probably only the dining room remains, with its oak
panelling and ceiling bosses. Remodelling was carried out in the early C20,
when a number of C18 fireplaces were inserted and other replicas built.
Listing NGR: TL1889547832
Other nearby listed buildings