This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4047 / 50°24'16"N
Longitude: -4.427 / 4°25'37"W
OS Eastings: 227631
OS Northings: 58908
OS Grid: SX276589
Mapcode National: GBR NH.RW4G
Mapcode Global: FRA 17MZ.F4J
Entry Name: Polgover
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137947
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60704
Location: Morval, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Morval
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Morval
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 25 NE MORVAL
House. Circa C17 remodelled and extended in circa 1700. Stone rubble base with
brick front elevation in irregular bonds. Rendered side and rear elevations. Slate
roof with hipped ends with regular slate on front elevation and scantle slate to
rear. 2 rear lateral chimney stacks with rendered brick shafts to front rooms later
incorporated into rear extensions and further rear lateral chimney stack with
rendered brick shaft serving rear service room on right.
Originally probably 2 room and through passage plan with 2 rooms heated by rear
lateral chimney stack. Considerably remodelled in circa 1700 when the facade was
refaced with brick, the passage was widened and the 2 front rooms remodelled, a wide
stair was placed to the rear of the passage and service rooms added with a dairy on
back left and kitchen on back right thus producing a double depth plan.
2 storeys originally symmetrical 7-window front with brick segmental arches to
openings. Brick string course above ground floor openings and brick quoin strips and
pilaster strips flanking entrance. Several blocked openings. Ground floor with
first, third, fifth and seventh openings from left blocked. Second opening with C19
3-light cross window with crown glass and glazing bars with similar window
asymmetrically placed in sixth opening. Central C19 panelled door with C20 brick
porch with hipped slate roof. First floor with first, third and fifth opening
blocked. C19 2-light casements with crown glass and glazing bars in other openings.
Heraldic coat of arms, probably of the Mayow family above the entrance.
Interior with wide passage with double doors leading into room on left with complete
bolection moulded panelling with chair rail and large marble bolection moulded
chimney piece with C20 brick grate. Right-hand room with C20 chimney piece. Wide
framed stair dividing at landing with second flights left and right to passage behind
first floor rooms. Closed string with moulded rail, square newels and turned
balusters. Roof replaced in circa mid C19.
Listing NGR: SX2763158908
Other nearby listed buildings