This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9925 / 51°59'33"N
Longitude: -0.4552 / 0°27'18"W
OS Eastings: 506162
OS Northings: 233800
OS Grid: TL061338
Mapcode National: GBR G3X.5Q5
Mapcode Global: VHFR1.255W
Plus Code: 9C3XXGVV+2W
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138002
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38078
Location: Pulloxhill, Central Bedfordshire, MK45
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Pulloxhill
Built-Up Area: Pulloxhill
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Pulloxhill
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 0633 CHURCH ROAD
19/91 Church of St James
Parish church. Chancel substantially medieval, elsewhere rebuilt 1845-6 by J.
T.Wing. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs with
stone coping to gables. Chancel, nave, W tower/porch. Chancel: C14 pointed-
arched 3-light E window. C15 pointed-arched 2-light window to N elevation. S
elevation has 2 Cl5 3-light 4-centred-arched windows, W one truncated by E
wall of nave, thereby appearing as single-light internally. Small S doorway.
Nave: 3 2-light pointed-arched windows to both N and S, in C14 style, with
variety of tracery. S elevation has small square-headed window to W end,
lighting vestry. W tower/porch: 3 stages, with embattled parapet and
diagonal buttresses. 2-light pointed-arched windows to bell-stage. W
elevation has pointed archway surmounted by rose window. N elevation has
square headed single-light to middle stage. Interior: monuments in chancel.
Brass to George Fitz d.1608 and wife Anne. Marble wall monument to Sir
William Briers d.1653 and his 2 wives Anne and Arabella, erected by latter,
with bust of Sir William in oval recess within ornate pedimented surround.
Brass to Dame Anne Briers d.1631. Floorslab to Dame Arabella Briers d.1662.
Chancel retains C15 3-bay crown-post roof. Wing's nave has decorative 5-bay
queen post roof with curved braces, wood gallery at W end and square font.
Listing NGR: TL0616233800
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings