This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4958 / 50°29'45"N
Longitude: -4.2261 / 4°13'33"W
OS Eastings: 242209
OS Northings: 68594
OS Grid: SX422685
Mapcode National: GBR NS.L0BK
Mapcode Global: FRA 271R.7DG
Entry Name: Retainers Court and Screen Wall Attached to North
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Last Amended: 19 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138043
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60779
Location: Calstock, Cornwall, PL12
Civil Parish: Calstock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Calstock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
9/28 Retainers' Court and screen wall
21.7.51 attached to north (formerly listed
as Cotehele House)
Dairy and stillroom ranges in the Retainers' Court, with screen wall attached to
north ; now partly in separate residential accommodation. Probably circa 1485, with
the screen wall probably added slightly later, at the time of the remodelling of the
chapel. Later additions, probably of C17, and C19 and C20 alterations. Slatestone
rubble with granite dressings. Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable ends, gable end
stacks and axial stack with ashlar shafts, cornice and shaped top. The screen wall
is faced in granite ashlar on the outer side, in slatestone rubble on the inner side,
with granite dressings.
Plan: There are 2 ranges of buildings, the earlier building forming the west side of
the Retainers' Court, and the second range forming the south side of the courtyard.
To the north, the screen wall with gateway forms the north side of the courtyard and
joins the west range to the chapel. The first range is of 2-room plan, the room to
left heated by a gable end stack and room to right heated by an axial stack. The
second range is of one-room plan, with gable end stack to right and left.
Exterior: The west range is of 2 storeys, with paired 4-centred arched doorways to
left with roll-mouldings with C19 windows inserted ; similar door to right, 2-light
and 3-light window and C19 door to end right. First floor has 3-light window to
right with segmental arched lights and 3 C19 gabled dormers with 2-light casements to
left. Gable end to right has 2-light C19 granite casement at ground floor and single
light at first floor. Rear has 3 single lights, hollow-chamfered with segmental
arches at first floor and 2 casements at ground floor.
The south range is 2-storey, with doorway to left with 4-centred arch, roll-moulded,
3-light window and 2 single lights to right. First floor has two 3-light granite
windows, all hollow-chamfered with segmental arched lights. Well to front right.
Left gable end has single light a first floor to left ; 4-centred arched hollow-
chamfered doorway to left and 2-light window above as on front. Attached to rear an
outshut of one storey and loft, forming a catslide roof at the rear ; this encloses a
rear cobbled corridor, with a 4-centred arched doorway and single light above at the
left side. The right gable end has a mounting block attached and 2-light casement at
first floor. At the rear there are C19 dormers and central door with casement to
right and left.
The screen wall on the outer side is in granite ashlar ; buttresses and embattled
parapet ; tall 4-centred arched moulded gateway with C20 wooden gates. The wall is
about 3 metres high.
Interior: Not inspected.
Listing NGR: SX4220668591
Other nearby listed buildings