This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4098 / 50°24'35"N
Longitude: -4.6355 / 4°38'7"W
OS Eastings: 212835
OS Northings: 59983
OS Grid: SX128599
Mapcode National: GBR N6.RH47
Mapcode Global: FRA 175Z.3WH
Entry Name: Chapel of St Nectans
Listing Date: 21 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138175
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60628
Location: St. Winnow, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: St. Winnow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Winnow with St Nectan's Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 NW ST WINNOW
6/127 Chapel of St Nectans
Chapel, dating from 1281. Present structure circa C15, although considerably
restored. Chapel damaged in 1644 during Civil War when tower reduced to its present
height. In 1825 and 1864 the building was enlarged. In 1962, after a period of
disuse the chapel was restored and reduced to its present size. Rubblestone, rendered
on north side. Slate roofs with gabled end. Pyramid slate roof to tower with slate
Chapel comprises nave, south porch and tower. East window, 3-light C19
Perpendicular window under 2-centred arch with hoods and drips. South side with 2-
light Perpendicular window, partly restored to west of south porch. Cusped heads
below rectangular hood. To east of porch two 3-light Perpendicular windows with
cusped heads below rectangular hood moulds with drips. West window circa C15 with
east window probably C19 copy. North side with three 3-light C19 windows with cusped
heads beneath rectangular hoods with drips. Tower of 1½ stages with angle buttresses
with moulded plinth and continuous string. Buttresses removed on north side when
church was enlarged. West door blocked. West window, 3 light Perpendicular with
continuous hood mould. Gabled south porch with sundial, massive granite quoins and 4-
centred moulded C15 doorway with hood mould, restored in part. South door with
slightly moulded granite arch in rectangular frame with hood mould and drips.
Plastered waggon roof to nave with moulded centre rib with instruments of the
Passion in shields on arcade plate. Original waggon roof to south porch with moulded
rail, carved bosses and carved arcade plate. Tower arch, moulded 3-centred arch with
engaged shafts of Type A (Pevsner) profile. Octagonal engaged capitals.
Font possibly C13 on square granite base with later octagonal shaft. Bowl with
Reseated. Remains of piscina to rear of church removed when church was reduced
in size. Painted board above south door, signed by Robert Walker, Vicar, describes
enlargement of church in 1825.
Pinnacles of tower have been scattered over the surrounding area. One pinnacle
has been used in a fountain in the gardens of Boconnoc, and another serves as a
gatepost with other pieces reused stone at the entrance to the churchyard. One bell
Source: Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1889
Listing NGR: SX1283559983
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings