This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6418 / 54°38'30"N
Longitude: -3.5443 / 3°32'39"W
OS Eastings: 300432
OS Northings: 528499
OS Grid: NY004284
Mapcode National: GBR 3GPR.GV
Mapcode Global: WH5YP.JLGF
Entry Name: Church of St John and Adjoining Community Hall
Listing Date: 6 June 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 72304
Location: Workington, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA14
Civil Parish: Workington
Built-Up Area: Workington
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Workington St John
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/10/2012
Church of St John and adjoining Community Hall
(Formerly listed as Church of St John and adjoining parish room)
Chapel of ease, now parish church and community hall. 1822-23 by Thomas Hardwick with 1846 and 1888 additions. Hammer-dressed calciferous sandstone, from Schoose and Hunday Quarries, with ashlar eaves, pilasters and plinth. Graduated green-slate roof with modillioned overhanging eaves and gable pediments.
PLAN: 5-bay nave/- chancel with west portico; 1846 west square ridge tower under bell cupola; north vestry , and attached community hall, added 1881, to east.
EXTERIOR: Chapel with double panelled west doors with patterned over-light in stone architrave under plain frieze and console-bracketed cornice; flanking panelled doors in stone architraves under large round-headed niches, all within tetrastyle Tuscan portico. Tall round-headed side windows in stone architraves.
INTERIOR: Interior galleries on 3 sides on slender fluted cast iron columns, the rear of the galleries with segmental recesses to light pews below. Flat plaster ceiling with geometricl ribs and coats-of-arms. Baldacchino and font cover by J N Comper, 1930. Tall C20 carved oak pulpit. Community hall adjoins east wall, the north gable doorway offset to left, with ashlar surround dated 1881 below drip mould, and with 3-light mullioned windows, one to the left, and one above to gable centre at first floor level. Tall, 3-light side wall windows light interior, the greater part of which is open beneath decorative hammer beam roof trusses.
HISTORY: The church was built in the style of St Paul's, Covent Garden at the cost of £10,000, by the architect who restored that church.
Listing NGR: NY0043228499
Other nearby listed buildings