History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haltcliffe Hall and Adjoining Byre/Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Caldbeck, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.7258 / 54°43'33"N

Longitude: -2.9955 / 2°59'43"W

OS Eastings: 335982

OS Northings: 537215

OS Grid: NY359372

Mapcode National: GBR 7FJS.8P

Mapcode Global: WH80T.YGRY

Entry Name: Haltcliffe Hall and Adjoining Byre/Barn

Listing Date: 3 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138260

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72413

Location: Caldbeck, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Caldbeck

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Caldbeck St Mungo

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Hesket Newmarket

Listing Text

NY 33 NE

Millhouse Haltcliffe Hall and adjoining byre/barn

Farmhouse.Datestone inscribed T.D.B. BUILT THE HALL 1653(Thomas & Dorothy Bewley)now removed;further inscription over window G.B.E.B.1687(George&Elizabeth Bewley)and over entrance G.B.E.B.1690,now covered;with C19 alterations.Roughcast over mixed limestone and sandstone rubble on large projecting plinth stones.Welsh slate roof with bottom courses of graduated greenslate;stone and brick ridge chimney stacks.Two and a half storeys,four bays with right-angled kitchen/byre extension to front right and two-storey,two-bay barn/byre to left under common roof.Ground floor three-light stone-mullioned window and other smaller sash windows in original chamfered surrounds with stone mullions removed.Small chamfered-surround attic window.Former entrance to right has chamfered Tudor-arched surround,now an internal feature covered by extension.Extension has brick front wall with C20 door and casement window.Byre to right has half-plank door with loft above.Rear wall of extension has blocked two-light stone-mullioned window.Rear of house has small chamfered-surround windows on three levels.Interior has large inglenook with moulded firebeam and hood with hooks.Beamed ceilings on both floors.Large inglenook in kitchen extension has chamfered firebeam with hood projecting into the room above.Byre/barn to left has through segmental archway,partly blocked to rear to form byre.Loft door above has chamfered surround under Tudor arch;window left is partly blocked three-light and stone-mullioned.Plank door to left and blocked stone-mullioned window with loft door over.Below the eaves are two rows of pigeon holes.On the site of an earlier builing which was purchased by Thomas Bewley in 1641.Remained in that family until 1758 when sold to Joshua Lucock,see Sir Edmund Thomas Bewley,The Bewleys of Cumberland,1902 pp40-1,93 and 97.Further adjoining barns are not of interest.

Listing NGR: NY3598237215

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.