This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3978 / 51°23'52"N
Longitude: -2.3046 / 2°18'16"W
OS Eastings: 378904
OS Northings: 166572
OS Grid: ST789665
Mapcode National: GBR 0QD.663
Mapcode Global: VH96N.04H9
Entry Name: Section of Churchyard Wall at East End of Churchyard of St Swithun's with Built in Fragments and Two Seats
Listing Date: 19 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138272
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32220
Location: Bathford, Bath and North East Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Bathford
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 7866-7966 BATHFORD C.P. CHURCH STREET
Section of churchyard wall
G.V. at east end of churchyard
of St. Swithun's with built-
in fragments and two seats.
Churchyard wall, including fragments of Romanesque carving and 2 ashlar seats.
The wall is circa 1870 but the fragments are C12th and were found when the old
chancel arch was demolished in 1870. Rubble walls; ashlar seats and hoods;
freestone carving. To left 2 plain ashlar seats, in recesses and under stone
hoods on brackets. To right: a shallow, plain piscina with a segmental head.
Under a flat stone hood on brackets are the Romanesque fragments; consisting of
a much mutilated figure of an ?angel (or possibly a bishop - Swithin) flanked by
2 engaged columns with Chevron and bead decoration and coarse cushion-type
capitals; fragments of a decorated round arch with dogtooth moulding.
Listing NGR: ST7890466572
Other nearby listed buildings