This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1102 / 52°6'36"N
Longitude: -0.1625 / 0°9'44"W
OS Eastings: 525933
OS Northings: 247352
OS Grid: TL259473
Mapcode National: GBR J5F.MRJ
Mapcode Global: VHGN2.47G5
Entry Name: Row of 10 Headstones Approx 5 Metres South of Chancel South Door, Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 26 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138293
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38488
Location: Wrestlingworth and Cockayne Hatley, Central Bedfordshire, SG19
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Wrestlingworth and Cockayne Hatley
Built-Up Area: Wrestlingworth
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wrestlingworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
WRESTLINGWORTH & CHURCH LANE
TL 2593 4735 COCKAYNE HATLEY (Wrestlingworth)
15/119 Row of 10 headstones
approx 5 metres S of
chancel S door, Church of
Closely grouped row of 10 headstones. All are of limestone, in variety of
sizes and shapes, Details of individual stones as follows (N to S):
(i) A.C. 1657. Small stone with large lettering. Simple carved
scrollwork cresting to top.
(ii) Name illegible. 1666. Rather worn, with remains of scrollwork
cresting to top.
(iii) Name illegible. July 7 1676. Inscription is within heart shaped
recessed panel. Carved scrollwork cresting to top includes cross-
(iv) Inscription illegible but probably c.1700. Central inscription is
flanked by panels of carved geometric decoration and surmounted by
winged skull. Carved cresting to top includes scrolls, swags and
(v) E.B. Sept 6 1676. Stone apparently sunk in ground to half height.
Simple deeply carved inscription in recessed rectangular panel.
Scrollwork cresting includes cross-bones.
(vi) Circa 1600. Rather worn, with simple scrollwork to cresting.
(vii) Mary dau of Timothe & Mary Bristow. 1724. Inscription surrounded by
circular foliate wreath. Square-headed stone with simply moulded
(viii) 1687 Maria Br(istow?). Deeply carved scrollwork around all edges,
that to top cresting incorporating skull, swag and cross-bones.
(ix) Timothey (....?) MDCCXIII. Inscription flanked by carved drapery and
tassles. Surmounted by urn and foliage. Segmental head with simple
(x) Simple segmental-headed C19 stone. Inscription illegible.
Listing NGR: TL2593347352
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings