This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3287 / 54°19'43"N
Longitude: -2.7453 / 2°44'43"W
OS Eastings: 351628
OS Northings: 492825
OS Grid: SD516928
Mapcode National: GBR 9L8D.G1
Mapcode Global: WH82W.SGXD
Entry Name: Unitarian Chapel and Schoolroom to North East of Number 40
Listing Date: 14 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138339
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75451
Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Kendal
Built-Up Area: Kendal
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kendal St George
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 5192 NE KENDAL MARKET PLACE
(Off East end)
8/109 Unitarian Chapel &
schoolroom to north-
14-4-69 east of no 40
Chapel and schoolroom. Chapel dated 1720 on rainwater head; re-roofed mid c19.
Restored, and schoolroom added, 1882. Built for Unitarians. Chapel: incised
stucco on chamfered plinth. Wooden gutter on dentils; both rainwater-heads are
set between 2 small faces (cherubs?) in wreaths. Graduated slate roof.
Symmetrical. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Single storey porch (added, 1882?) of stone
blocks with diagonal buttresses under hipped roof with gable over door:
Linenfold panelling to double doors in segmental-headed surround with decorative
labels to hoodmould; 3-light stone-mullioned window to either side. Tall,
2-light, wood-mullioned and transomed window to either side of porch; five
2-light, wood-mullioned, windows above. 2 strengthening ties between floors.
Schoolroom (adjoining to north): Coursed, squared rubble. Graduated slate roof
with large skylight; conical iron vent. Single storey, 3 bays. Gabled porch
with panelled, segmental-headed door; C20 sash, in original opening, and 2-light
wood-mullioned and transomed window to right. Very good set of finely carved
early C18 tombstones fastened to walls.
Listing NGR: SD5162892825
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings