This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0316 / 52°1'53"N
Longitude: -0.493 / 0°29'34"W
OS Eastings: 503480
OS Northings: 238089
OS Grid: TL034380
Mapcode National: GBR G39.N5K
Mapcode Global: VHFQT.D6QF
Entry Name: White Hart Hotel
Listing Date: 17 June 1951
Last Amended: 17 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138355
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37403
Location: Ampthill, Central Bedfordshire, MK45
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Ampthill
Built-Up Area: Ampthill
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ampthill
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
600/1/46 DUNSTABLE STREET
17-JUN-51 (East side)
WHITE HART HOTEL
Hotel, early C18 with C17 origins discovered during late-C20 restoration work.
3 storeys of red brick, framed by broad stone pilasters at each corner, bands at each upper floor and a moulded cornice below the plain parapet with stone coping. Central entrance with 3 window bays to each side.
FACADE: 7 tall sash windows in broad frames, fluted on ground floor only, within moulded architraves which project forward off the wall. Stone cills. Each architrave broken by a bold keystone. Plain classical stone frame with moulded cornice encloses door of 8 panels (6 fielded), flanked by a pair of engaged and reeded columns. Carriageway to left-hand side, under single storey of plaster with coved eaves and steep tiled roof, leading to a yard with tile-hung and weatherboarded sections of building.
INTERIOR: Possibly two storeys heightened to three with the Georgian remodelling. Central hall with stick baluster stair. Hall and front room to right-hand side have remnants of timber framing including a joweled post. Bressumer above fireplace to front right-hand side room above which is a good surviving and recently uncovered (c.1980s) tripartite coloured wall painting. To centre panel: Prince of Wales (Charles II) feathers in circular frame with painted drapes filling the square panel and bearing the date 1646. Panel to left has thistle and flower motif. First floor room over carriageway has architrave to former door opening possibly of pre-Georgian date. Timber roof with some sections of halved and pegged rafters (in the room over the carriageway entrance, to the rear slope and in the rear right-hand side wing). Brick barrel-vaulted beer cellar running longitudinally and reached by winder stair from back hall.
SOURCES: VCH, page 268.
SPECIAL: No. 127 forms a group with Nos. 1 to 39 (odd) and Court House, Church Street. An early-C18 hotel with recently uncovered C17 wall painting and strong group value.
Listing NGR: TL0348038089
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings