This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.22 / 53°13'11"N
Longitude: -2.4171 / 2°25'1"W
OS Eastings: 372244
OS Northings: 369292
OS Grid: SJ722692
Mapcode National: GBR 7Y.11CS
Mapcode Global: WH99L.VB5C
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 2 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 57193
Location: Byley, Cheshire West and Chester, CW10
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Byley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Byley-cum-Less St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
BYLEY C.P. MOSS LANE
SJ 76 NW
5/14 Church of St John the
Parish Church, 1846 (dated stone) probably by J Matthews, built as a
Commissioner's Church. Brick and stone with tile roof. 4 bay nave, 3
bay chancel, narrower and less lofty than the nave. Sandstone plinth,
stone 3-offset buttresses to angles and between windows. Stone sill
band with brick toothed-band below. Semicircular-headed lights, with
mainly lead lattice glazing, in groups of two or three, with white
terracotta dressing. Blue brick diaper work below windows. Stone
eaves band on toothed brick band. Stepped 3-light chancel east
window, with terracotta surround, and recessed 2-light nave west-gable
window with stone dressing under a single arch. Square brick clock
and bell tower, South-east with diaper work and stone corner
buttresses which start clasping and finish diagonal. Stone sill
level plinth and deep stone band between first and second stages.
Semicircular headed windows at three levels, those at bell stage in
pairs with louvres. The tower has a stone parapet and steep pyramid
roof. A C20 Vestry, in brick, fronts the tower (West). The nave
entrance (north-west) is of stone with semicircular, rebated, arched
opening to porch, stone side seats, boarded door with studs and strap
hinges and gabled roof with kneelers and copings. There are stone
copings to the church gables and the nave gable supports a bellcote.
Interior: The chancel consists of a 2-bay choir one step up from the
nave and a one-bay sanctuary a further two steps up. There are
semicircular arches with archivolts at the changes of level to the
choir and sanctuary. Heavily moulded oak communion rail with turned
balusters. The glazed vestry screen, south of the choir, is beneath
an arch and two half arches supported by corbels. The chancel roof is
of scissors braced rafters with collars and ashlar pieces. There is a
triple blind arcade above the chancel arch and similar larger triple
blind arcades flank the nave west window. The nave side windows are
deeply recessed under segmental arches and have splayed reveals. Oak
pulpit with crosses in incised shields and fret cornice. Stone
octagonal font with oak cover removed from Middlewich church in 1844.
Marble tablets to clergymen, metal war memorial and oak panel listing
former incumbents. Arch braced trusses with high collars and curved
purlin braces supported by ovolo-moulded stone corbels.
Listing NGR: SJ7224469292
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.