History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alvanley School and Former Schoolmaster's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Alvanley, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.261 / 53°15'39"N

Longitude: -2.7557 / 2°45'20"W

OS Eastings: 349685

OS Northings: 374040

OS Grid: SJ496740

Mapcode National: GBR 9Z6Q.6R

Mapcode Global: WH883.M9YD

Entry Name: Alvanley School and Former Schoolmaster's House

Listing Date: 6 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138487

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57166

Location: Alvanley, Cheshire West and Chester, WA6

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Alvanley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Alvanley

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Helsby

Listing Text

ALVANLEY C.P. MANLEY ROAD
SJ 47 SE
South East Side
4/20 Alvanley School and
former Schoolmaster's
House.
GV
II
Village school and schoolmaster's house circa 1860, possibly by
J S Crowther. Brown brick; stone dressings; grey slate roof. In C13
manner. L-shaped school with projecting cross-gable right; 1 1/2 storey
schoolmaster's house forms cross-gable left. Brickwork almost wholly
in header bond. The central bay has a triple lancet window to
schoolroom under a flush gable, with door to left in steeply
shoulder-arched opening. Diminishing chimney with octagonal shaft of
stone at junction of central bay and right cross-wing. The cross-wing
has window of 3 trefoil-headed lights to front, a clock under gabled
canopy on brackets and a small steepled belfry containing C17 bell
from the church opposite (q.v.) which was rebuilt in 1860. Right side
of cross-wing has 1 flush gable and 1 projecting gable, each with a
triple lancet window. Schoolmaster's house has boarded door in
shoulder-arched opening with trefoil overlight, a 4-light mullioned
and transomed window and a 3-light leaded lattice dormer over. A
pleasing, informal composition. Interior of school altered. "The
church (St. John's q.v.) has character and the school more so" -
Pevsner. The two buildings are of compatible character. Hence the
tentative attribution of the school to J S Crowther.


Listing NGR: SJ4968574040

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.